PENN senator 4/0 113H star drag wheel is stuck - pls help

Started by discusman, October 13, 2012, 09:45:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

discusman

Hi, all

This is my first time to post here.  I just got a PENN senator 4/0 113H from eBay. The reel looks fine. I tighten the drag wheel to test the drag. And now The wheel is stuck. I can not loosen the wheel in any way. I am quite new in conventional reel. Please help !

Regards,

jamesnashtonbrady

glad to see you joined up. btw were are you located? maybe i can help you out and fix it for you

Alto Mare

Welcome discusman, sounds like you'll need a new gear sleeve. Hold the handle and try backing the star with force, remove the handle and see if the tip of the sleeve is rounded off.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

discusman

Guys,

Thank you for your quick response. I try to take off the  hex nut that is in the middle of the handle and was unable to do so. It seems that the nut is also stuck.

The reel if working fine just without any adjustment to the drag. Can I use the reel as it is ?

Thanks!

jamesnashtonbrady

depends. what are you going to be using the reel for? if you are going to be using it for anything big then no. it will get pulled right out the rod holder.

Alto Mare

No you can't use the reel with a frozen star, no matter what type of fishing. The handle nut has a set screw next to it, did you remove it first before attempting to remove the handle screw? I'm pretty sure that it is your gear sleeve that is domaged, you might also need a new star, the threads are probably domaged as well. you'll need lots of force to remove that handle screw, but it should give. Alans wrench would have done the trick here. If you take it apart, try to show a picture of the sleeve and then we'll take it from there.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

discusman

Yes, I did remove the set screw before trying to  remove the hex nut. I am thinking to use this reel for Cod fishing. Just added some reel oil to the thread, will let it sit for a while and give it a try again. 

Thanks!

jamesnashtonbrady

well if you cant get it done ill be glad to do it for you for free. you just pay for shipping and any part you will need. and while im in there i will clean it and regress it for you

Alto Mare

That's very nice of you James ;).

Discsman, sorry that I sent you that stupid question about the screw, sometimes you never know. Go ahead and apply lots of force on that handle screw, you won't make anymore damage that it already has.

jamesnashtonbrady

Quote from: Alto Mare on October 14, 2012, 04:13:39 AM
That's very nice of you James ;).

well there was this nice guy on here that ones helped me so im trying to pay it forward.  ;)

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

harryk3616

sal    that wasn't a stupid question about the little set screw,  iv'e seen where someone replaced the set screw and it happened to be a little longer than usuall , it stuck thru the handle and the star drag binded on it