Spinning reel bearing lubrication

Started by Megalops, August 08, 2012, 11:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Megalops

I have read Alan's advice on which bearings to oil & which ones to grease & I know that for conventional reels he recommends packing all bearings other than the spool bearings with grease.  What about the bearing in a spinning reel that sits in the middle of the rotor cup & spins around the main shaft?  Should that one be greased or oiled?

Nessie Hunter

In Spinning reels the only bearing that is not Grease packed is the Anti Reverse/roller bearing.

That may be under the bearing your talking about or the Reel may not have a roller bearing at all..

The only reason for Oil in bearings is to get more speed out of them (spool)..
OR in the case of the Roller bearing it is to keep it freely moving, They not only turn, but also the rollers move to close on the shaft and keep it from turning backwards...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Megalops

Thanks Nessie.  The bearing in particular that I am referring to is in a Penn 704Z & it's the pinion Bearing (part #20-704).

johndtuttle

Quote from: Megalops on August 09, 2012, 12:40:46 AM
Thanks Nessie.  The bearing in particular that I am referring to is in a Penn 704Z & it's the pinion Bearing (part #20-704).

yea, a heavy duty bearing like the pinion needs good long lasting lube (marine grease). Lighter oils are not durable enough (very generally speaking) for this application. This new TSI 301 stuff seems interesting as Alan has reported great results after one year. However, I would use it on only open bearings (ie speed tuned) and leave the shields on those that have them and protect them with marine grease on the outside.

I think Master Tani makes an excellent point that in his experience shields don't do much to protect bearings from Salt Water. I think the issue is somewhat more complicated as he routinely sees abused reels that have gone many months without service. In which case, it has taken some time for the shields to fail in all likelihood.

An avid do it yourselfer, but not fanatical, would possibly get in there before damage was done and the shields may work and help some for this "above average" level of maintenance he might provide. If my bearings are open I inspect my reels after every use pretty much (which really means I don't get out there much with them :() to see how the theory is working. When they are shielded I put it off after routine use.

Master Tani would certainly benefit from the increased performance of open bearings and would never neglect their possibly increased maintenance requirements either.

My opinion may have something to do with my not having invested in carb cleaner, a bearing packer and such too :).

best

ps.
Alan Hawk took the seals off of many bearings in his Penn Torque Spinner. Note these are Sealed rather than Shielded which makes them inhibit free turning significantly. He did this as they are behind other seals on the body and handle etc that theoretically protect them sufficiently. He did find a significant improvement in performance (smoothness) which is not an insignificant quality over a days fishing. An unsealed spinning reel, like most are, should probably have the shields left on as water will get inside these reels on a semi-routine basis if used hard in wet conditions. Like any "recommendation" this has to be weighed by the end user's needs and desire for performance versus his intent to assiduously maintain his reels by himself or pay someone to do it on a rare basis etc in all it's variations. If there is salt and water in there any reel will come to grief sooner or later. The shields may give you some time before you open the reel up and rescue it from complete destruction is all I'm trying to say.

alantani

john, a man of your obvious stature in this industry needs a bearing packer!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

johndtuttle

Quote from: alantani on August 29, 2012, 02:13:03 AM
john, a man of your obvious stature in this industry needs a bearing packer!   ;D

Well, I certainly am a legend in my own mind but doubt anyone else thinks so. :)

Rare

Quote from: johndtuttle on August 29, 2012, 02:06:37 AM
ps.
Alan Hawk took the seals off of many bearings in his Penn Torque Spinner..

I did the same and does make a big differences when speed jigging.