Improving the 113h casting

Started by herrscher, October 16, 2012, 12:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keith K on October 18, 2012, 12:02:00 AM
Quote from: herrscher on October 17, 2012, 04:33:06 PM
I'm going to enjoy some fresh caught blue fin, take a nap and not worry about it.   
Good man. 
One thing that I did to all of Jigmasters as well (and will do in any reel that I open up from now on) is lightly chamfer the edges of the yoke where the pinion gear sits with a round file.  It made a huge difference shifting in and out of gear.  Waaay smoother now.
Thanks again for the killer informative posts!
Keith
I always have problems when the pinion yoke shows a little wear at that area :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

herrscher

Quote from: basto on October 18, 2012, 11:12:15 AM
I did not know you can get gold plated magnets. I should try to get some for my ABU Mag Elite. The magnets in it are returning to powder form after 12 years. If they were plated with gold, they would probably still be ok.

If you were thinking of replacing those old powdered magnets, get the measurements before removing the remains. 
When trying to match the dimensions of those, remember that there are many different magnets types and field strengths available now.  Todays magnets are smaller in size but much stronger than those a decade or two ago.  I think it would be impossible to duplicate the original, even if you had the specs.  You might want to get several different sizes of the same N ratting and try them all before permanently fixing one in place.  You're accustomed to the way the ABU casts now, if you replace the magnets you will have to learn to cast it all over again.  If that ABU is the one which has a semi-circle of small magnets, that will limit you somewhat in your choices.  Assuming that you used N-52 magnets, start smaller and use tape to hold them in place.  Go up in size from there.  It might be to your liking to have two different sizes of magnets symmetrically installed.  Have fun. 

If this sounds like to much trouble, clean the magnets of material, degrease them then take some finger nail polish (your choice of color) and paint over them.  That should stop the oxidation. 

Erik

One ringy-dingy. Two ringy-dingies.

basto

Thanks for your very informative reply. Yes, it is the model with a semi circle of magnets. I coated them heavily with blue grease to stop them breaking down and it has seemed to work with no retardation of their effect.
I was told that they are formed from a power initially.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

LTM

Herrscher,

Thanx again for your post. Im very interested in maging a few reels and your post is the first that Ive seen with some excellent detail photos and comments. Would you mind posting a "HOW TO" on how you maged some of your existing mag'd reels. If you would include some info on sources/materials and tools required. Also any detailed data on approximate resistance with varing magnet combos/types. Im completely ignorant on this subject and some good direction would be appreciated.

Leo

herrscher

Quote from: LTM on October 22, 2012, 12:44:10 AM

Thanx again for your post. Im very interested in maging a few reels and your post is the first that Ive seen with some excellent detail photos and comments. Would you mind posting a "HOW TO" on how you maged some of your existing mag'd reels. If you would include some info on sources/materials and tools required. Also any detailed data on approximate resistance with varing magnet combos/types. Im completely ignorant on this subject and some good direction would be appreciated.

Leo,

This is a classic trial and error, do it until you get where you want.  With one of my 505 Jigmasters, it's set up to throw a 4 ounce lure with the rod built around that.  If I put that reel on another rod, it could result in a huge braided birds nest.  When I'm casting with a 6 or 8 ounce weight it's fine.  With a 1 or 2 ounce lure, I have to pay attention.   The magnets are cheap when compared to your time, so I purchase more than enough for the job.  For a 500 series, I would think about 10 of the 3/16" along with 6 each of the 1/4" and 5/16" all in 1/32" thickness.  This is nothing more than a starting point, larger reels will need larger magnets.  Fewer thicker magnets might work better than more thinner ones.  Trial and error.

Let's see if I can make any sense of something I don't know anything about.
Please if I make a mistake, correct it.

Without getting into Lenz's Law in combination with Faraday's Law and Gauss's Law, it's fairly simple.

When you have a magnetic field and an object breaks that magnetic field it induces a force that acts against that object equal to the rate of change.  A linear example of this would be the safety braking system on a roller coaster.  In a reel, as the spool spins, it interrupts the electromagnetic field thereby causing an opposing force that slows the spool in direct proportion to the change.

Simplified even further, the faster the spool spins the greater the braking force acting on it.  When the spool turns slowly there is very little braking force. When it's correctly configured (-> that's the hard part <-) you can cast as far possible without backlash.  

Now the fun part.  
The spool must be metal, plastic will not work.  
Then you have to consider the variables and choose those to work within, some are;

Magnetic type; Strength.       Rare earth magnets are a given but you have two types, N42 and N52
                                       to choose from.

Magnetic size:           What will fit in the space with the needed strength.  

Magnet polarity sequence.       N-N, N-S-N etc. This effects the magnetic fields strength.
                                       Sequencing in a N-S polarity will increase the field strength
                                       more than a N-N.  

Magnetic location.        Closer to the center of spin the braking force is less, towards the rim
                                       that force will be more powerful.  
                                       Closer to the spool the greater the force, farther away there's less braking.              

Increase the strength of the magnetic field by using a steel strip/washer under and/or over the magnets.  Using the strips will increase the height, which you may not have. It does make changing the magnets easier if a strip is epoxied to the side plate.  

I've always stayed with the strongest magnets without using steel strips.   They are the N52 type in the sizes of 3/16", 1 /4" and 5/16" with thicknesses of 1/32" and 1/16".   Of course there are larger and thicker magnetics available.  Most are nickel plated but I look for the gold plated ones to eliminate corrosion  

The straight pull force is the amount of force a magnet has on a steel plate.
If you put the magnet on a non-magnetic surface, the force is less.

Looking at the Gauss units (a measure in magnetic force) it looks like the the larger magnets have less force than the smaller ones.  But, the surface area is greater and the electromagnetic field is spread out instead of localized.  Comparing the 3/16" to the 5/16" magnets, the surface area for the 5/16" is 3 times larger that the 3/16" That is something to consider if you have a larger spool.  

A comparison in a few of these shows;

Size          straight pull force in lbs   surface field in Gauss
3/16" x  1/32"   .43                2340
ΒΌ" x 1/32"      .66                1795
5/16" x 1/32"   .85               1451
⅜" x 1/32"      1.05               1217
5/16" x 1/16"   2.05               2748
⅜" x 1/16"      2.62               2340

When you place the magnet between two steel plates the pull force is much greater.  For example;

5/16" x 1/32"     pull force on a steel plate is          .85 lbs
         Between two steel plates it is       6.75 lbs.
5/16" x 1/16"   pull force on a steel plate is        2.05 lbs.      
         Between two steel plates it is       7.53 lbs.
⅜" x 1/16"       pull force on a steel plate is        2.62 lbs   
         Between two steel plates it is    10.65 lbs.

To keep things in prospective, a  1" x 1/8" magnet produces 15.60 lbs and 70.57 lbs of force.  
                 (this information is from K&J Magnetics)

When I'm mag'n a reel I keep things as simple as I can.  I stay with three magnet sizes in the same thickness.  I use the rod, line and expected casting weight that expect to fish with.  

Keep the number of variations at a minimum and keep your sanity intact.

I started with a 500 jigmaster, with two 3/16" magnets configured in a N-S sequence.  I placed the magnets on scotch tape, then folded the tape over to hold them in place.  Then glued them in with Elmer's wood glue.  You could also use a hot melt glue gun.  

Start casting, short distances at first, then with increasing force until you start getting tangled up.  Then you can add another magnet or go up in size, reducing the number of magnets and start casting again.  If you're casting with more effort and not increasing distance, reduce the strength in the magnets field.  Finally, you'll get to the point of being able to cast as far as possible without creating a birds nest.  That magnetic field you've arrived at is for that rod, line and weight.  If you change any of those, you'll see a change in the spool braking for good or bad.

Xxxx -- rare earth magnetics are brittle and will chip easily.  --- xxxxx

The supplier I use is K&J Magnetics. I've never had any problems with K&J so I've never dealt with any other suppliers.  They have more than enough sizes and variations for my needs.

Erik

One ringy-dingy. Two ringy-dingies.

Alto Mare

Good read Erik, thanks for the information.
Even though you only have a few posts here, I'm enjoying them all.
Thank you! Sal

Alan, should this be stickied?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

saltydog

Very informative and simple to do.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

LTM

Herrcher,

Thanx a million for your info, with this I can run with the idea/concept. As Sal stated this should be a sticky, for I have copied this info into its on text file for maging reels. I too have enjoyed your posts and find them facinating. BTW, saw your post on your reels aka the team. What interesting things have you done to them?

Leo