Rosco Butt Rings

Started by Scattergun2570, February 08, 2018, 04:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scattergun2570

Quote from: mrwilson99 on February 11, 2018, 11:44:34 PM
I prefer rosco butt rings over split rings, cleaner look to me. Some guy on bloodydeck ordered a while bunch and is selling them in small packs. Do a search there.

Bloodydeck?

josa1

I don't know how mechanically inclined you might be but my suggestion is to make your own butt rings.

I make them out of stainless rod or wire depending on the size needed.  Stainless wire and rod of various sizes is available at McMaster Carr.  Stainless rod and wire are also available at welding supply houses.  I seem to use a lot of 1/16", .0625" rod and .051" wire.

Go to the hardware store and get a couple of long carriage bolts of the proper size to wrap the wire around.  A pair of $8.00 bolt cutters from Northern Freight or Home Depot and you can make as many as you want of any size.

The method I used was to cut the head off of the carriage bolt.  I then drilled a hole in a stud in the garage to put the threaded portion of the bolt into. Drill a small hole next to the bolt, bend the end of the wire at a right angle and insert the end of the wire into the small hole to hold the end stationary.  Hold the other end of the wire/rod you're wrapping with a pair of vice grips to aide in wrapping the wire.  I usually start with a piece of wire about 24-30" long.  When you finish wrapping, gradually release the pressure on wire. The vice grips might reverse as many as two revolutions until the spring pressure is off the wire. Slide the coil of wire off the bolt (this is why the bold head needs to be removed) and cut each ring with the bolt cutters, being as careful as possible to make the cuts so the ends of the butt rings are very close together.  I usually angle the bolt cutters to get the required closeness.

Just be careful, as you wrap the wire and be aware that you're making a spring.  So, don't let the wire come out of the vise grips and go flying around.

This is a fun project and you'll never want for butt rings again!

WORK SAFELY AND BE ABSOLUTELY SURE TO WEAR LEATHER GLOVES AND SAFETY GLASSES!!

josa1

Bryan Young

Quote from: mrwilson99 on February 11, 2018, 11:44:34 PM
I prefer rosco butt rings over split rings, cleaner look to me. Some guy on bloodydeck ordered a while bunch and is selling them in small packs. Do a search there.
What do you need?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D