Comparing the Penn 85 and 285

Started by George4741, November 11, 2012, 06:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basto

One thing I found interesting is that the stands on my two reels look identical, they have the same part number on their schematics, (30-60) but on the 85m stand the number is 30-85.

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

sdlehr

Basto, I checked my 85 stand, also stamped the same. You can use a 30-60 stand, and I'd bet the early versions did; The only difference between the 30-60 and the 30-85 is the number. I'd bet that the schematic shows a 30-60 stand because it dates back to the inception of the reel.... but, interestingly, MysticParts.com lists the 30-85 stand as used on the 14, 79, 80, and 185, and the 30-60 stand used on the 60, 85 and 285.

Both stands are the dimension of the 250 yard Long Beach which descended from the Model K with star drag. I would bet that there are more Penn reels with these dimensions than any other  - Penn seems to have offered many very similar reels with different names through the years, some with only minor differences like trim rings present or not.

I believe there were other stands used on other models with the same dimensions but different numbers.... and some of those with the same dimensions came and went before Penn stamped any numbers on any parts; these would have used the 60 or 85 stands if numbers were in use at the time these reels were in production. The 250-yard Seagate is an example of this.

Sid

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Sid Lehr
Veterinarian, fishing enthusiast, custom rod builder, reel collector

basto

Sid
Thank you so much for your reply. I am learning a lot from you and very much appreciate your efforts in educating me.
I find these old Penns more interesting than modern reels and they are so beautifully designed with regard to shape, function and longevity.
When I was learning about design, the most important element was function. It does not matter how good the product looks if it does not function well.
cheers
Basto
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n