Pflueger Direct Drive Akron No. 1893 cleanup

Started by FirePro911, November 15, 2012, 04:20:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FirePro911

Here is the Pflueger I mentioned in the other thread. I hope this is in the right spot and done good enough for a tutorial.

This is my Fire Department Captain's reel. He recently found it in his Parents garage and it used to be his late Fathers. It was still in original pouch, but you can see it had a lot of use anyway. We estimate it to be about late 1940's to early '50's based upon the time his Father would have used it.

He asked if I would clean it up so he could display it at his house.

Here is the pouch, pretty rough shape, but is still neat.

Some before pics before I tore it down.

The jewels are pretty neat and cleaned up real good.

Started to open it up.

Here is the extra Pawl that comes with them.

Not really sure what this brass piece does. Once out, nothing else comes apart as the "bearing" is built onto the plate as far as I could tell. Looking up above at the plate when I first took off, you can see on the inside that the "bearing" looks to be riveted onto the plate.

Worm Gear assembly

The spare Pawl is on top. Only difference I can see is the head of it is more beveled compared to the Pawl already installed.

Pulled the gears off

Side view with red jewel, which is neat. If this was mine to display, I would be tempted to install small LED's inside it to light each jewel up.

Skeleton housing with spool

Secondary side plate being pulled off

Drag setup

The actually drag looks to be a piece of hardwood or a type of composite material.

Removed both pieces, but the wire is riveted down on one end.

Hole in spool for string.

Clicker Gear

Pinion Gear

All cross pieces come off, leaving just the side plate.

Clicker assembly

All parts cleaned and ready to go back together.

A lot of scratches on it from some hard fishing. But it cleaned up real nice for display.

Used an old advertisement for a back drop to the reel.

Now a video of it free spinning which surprised me. I have read about them being to tight to cast and mainly used for drop fishing, but this video shows different and with a little cleaning I bet it can cast pretty good.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Great job FP and a cracker run-down too!
Your captain should be stoked with the result - not to mention a photographic record of the process for posterity ;)
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

Very nice job FirePro and a well deserved photo of the month. I would love to see that clicker tongue and spring on some of my reels.
No plastic anywhere, except for the handle knobs. Thanks for bringing it to us, great job ;).
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

FirePro911

Thanks! I'm almost done with the tweaking of the schematic for the '73 Abu 5000, then I will post the cleanup of it.

Ken_D

~Very~ nice !!  As a bit of an aficionado myself on the older gear, it pains me to note that the previous owners were related to Abdullah the Butcher... who did not understand that American flathead screw slots are somewhat standardized and take certain size blades. Twits who use butterknives, spoons, and broken hacksaw blades as screwdrivers share a common trait: their IQ is the same number as their waist...... ;D ;D ;D  

dobrobill

What a nice job done on an old reel.. Just excellent..  Gets my vote for photo of month....

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Wyzer

Wonderful work, and great documentation!

I found this thread by searching Google, and its nice to see a repair site!  So many people tell me "it's cheaper to buy a new one!", and to be honest, I don't agree at all!

I just so happened to pick up the same Reel and Rod combo at a local garage sale!  Paid $5 total.

I want to go over mine and clean it up as well, and curious as to what materials you used to clean it up so nicely! 

Again thanks for your time and help.

FirePro911

First I use Joy dish washing liquid and a sonic cleaning brush to clean everything real good. The I use a dremel with a polisher on it to polish everything with White Diamond Metal polish on every piece. Then use the White Diamond again to give it a final polish.

Wyzer

Thanks for the reply.

As to the bearing, did you repack/grease the bearings with the materials as suggested on this Forum or something else?  The video you have of the spin time on your reworked reel is stupendous!

FirePro911

No bearings in it, they are the brass bushings. I always use Reel X on everything.

wallacewt

old reels or new reels, it dont matter
something like this comes along its
an insperation for everybody to have a go
goodstuff

T Rad

Thanks a great, great deal for the tutorial! I found the same reel, in the box, with papers and the original little bottle of oil, and the little hang tag for the handle, almost no wear, minor scratches, and loaded with the old multicolored cotton or nylon line in Eureka Springs, Ark just a couple of weeks ago. I gave way to much for it, $60, but the thing was so pretty I couldn't resist! Good job and thanks again!
"The one who thinks he knows a thing does not yet know it as he should."-- The Apostle Paul. "Illegitimis non carborundum." — General Joseph Stillwell

Reel 224

That is a bit different then the Pflueger Capitol No. 1988 But a beautiful job restoring that Reel. I don't think I could restore mine to that condition. Great Job!! F P 911   
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."