Lever drag reels drags, line, casting

Started by dobrobill, November 20, 2012, 12:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

day0ne

Quote from: Keta on November 28, 2012, 01:20:41 PM
Jerry Brown says 10 pounds is enough to pack a reel or spool,  so far I haven't had any problems.

I agree, unless you are going for maximum capacity, trying to squeeze every possible yard onto the reel. Ten lbs is good enough for me
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

ok you mean friction on the line itself, because friction causes heat to build up, not pressure per se. is this  correct?

spes

Quoteit needs to be spooled very tight

One of my first bosses ever(many moons ago) used to say " a new broom only sweeps good once"

After you retrieve your first cast... isn't it not so tight any more?

Keta

Quote from: Mel B on November 28, 2012, 09:17:23 PM
ok you mean friction on the line itself, because friction causes heat to build up, not pressure per se. is this  correct?

Yes, heat from friction.  Spectra does not like heat.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Makule

Quote from: spes on November 28, 2012, 10:49:57 PM
Quoteit needs to be spooled very tight

One of my first bosses ever(many moons ago) used to say " a new broom only sweeps good once"

The idea is that the problem is evident when a large fish takes line out.  Your casting distance will be the starting point.  The line still on the spool after the cast is what needs to be very tightly wound because that is what the fish will pull against (not less than your casting distance).
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: spes on November 28, 2012, 10:49:57 PM

you are a 100% correct. i try to retrieve the line as tight as possible by using the pressure the fish exert on the  line while fighting it. i crank  it while the rod is parallel to the water and just use  the set drag. it's  no as tight but it helps...

spes

So it's only as tight as your last fish,,
or longest fight

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

exactly! so far so good but after a few fishing trips  i let the line out by tying it to something and respool again as tight as possible....okidoki  going fishing now...

dobrobill

I was told if you get spooled to near end , you have to redo it all.  I did one yesterday and the line doesn't dig in now, feels like rock, but it doesn't dig. I'm going to have to get a glove, thumbing that stuff burns when you can't get enough spool to rely on.  I laughed when someone wrote don't get the braid hot putting in on because it will sure burn your thumb off. Need more calous......

UKChris

Spooling line tight without heat damage exercised my mind so I have rigged a set-up in the tackle room that consists of a stout length of wood (off-cut of a curtain pole) held in a 'workmate' bench. One end has the reel I want the line to end up on clamped in place with the reel clamps and the other has an old but fully functional 12/0 Everol clamped there. I use a smaller Senator for smaller reels - principle is the same.

First I wind the line from my bulk spool onto the target reel to fill it under moderate tension. You could use a set length if that is what you want.

Then I wind all that line onto the Everol under heavier tension.

Then I wind it all back onto the target reel under heavy packing tension - never any risk of bedding down now and this leaves just enough room for the topshot (I use 3/4 dacron and 1/4 mono on most trolling reels but you could adapt the system to use specified lengths)

Of course, it is a pain in the neck to do all that winding - just filled two 50W with 80lb dacron and not looking forward to the 1000 yards of 200lb spectra that is going on the 80W under a 130lb mono topshot.

Chris

dobrobill

Wow... that is a lot of reeling.... Need a couple of brews for such a job...

wallacewt

i do exactly the same
when i  loaded my 1st 2 speed reel
i completely forgot about the low
gear. doh! ???

UKChris

It is a lot of reeling but it also gets my winding arm into training  ;D as most of the time I'm working in an office at a keyboard (or with a proper fountain pen when possible!) and need a bit of a workout before a marlin-hunt.

Actually, that is the other part of my 'home gym' - sorry to wander off topic. I use the same Everol or a 12/0 Senator loaded with some old line, set the drag to a few pounds, tie off the line and then wind against the drag.

After a few turns, my arm is burning  :-\ but doing this every evening (the wife knows I'm nuts  ::)) I eventually get to the point where I can wind 200 turns without a break against some serious drag. It needs that to wind in quarter of a mile of wet 130 dacron fast.

Then it's time for another brew  :P