PENN 114HL WITH A NARROW TIB KIT

Started by Alto Mare, November 26, 2012, 03:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: wallacewt on November 26, 2012, 07:42:11 PM
they look great sal,now for some lever drags
Sorry buddy, I don't own any. Just one of those things :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on November 26, 2012, 07:54:26 PM

The problem I see is not strength but line capacity, not a factor when fishing over the continental shelf and shallow but when a big fish can dive and not hit bottom for 1200' or more I'd rather have a bigger reel.  I guess you can always snap on a second rig and toss the first rod over the side if you are close to getting spooled.

Having said the above, I don't think I'd feel handycaped using a 114HN for large YFT but I prefer my modified 2 speed reels, there are times 1:1 is a good gear ratio....especialy when you are a busted up old guy.
Lee, this reel holds 900yds of 80lb braid.

I forgot to mention to John to go back in history and take a look at  one of his vintage catalogs...they don't lie. The 9/0 has caught tuna over 1000lb.
Besides the pinion being a little smaller in diameter, this one is tougher than the 9/0 , in my opinion.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Another beast has been created! I have to ask about that reel clamp as it looks familiar.  Is that clamp from a 12/0-16/0 with the ring (you removed) that you've modified to fit by drilling new holes, and installed Nylock nuts on?
Sweet set up but what made you go with that clamp set up?
Thanks
Dom

Alto Mare

Hey Dom.
The reel came without the clamp, sellers are getting smarter, some are getting $20 for those. I just didn't feel like spending $20 and used what I had. Those heavy duty clamps will work from the 6/0 to the 16/0.
When I drove to Jersey a while back to get  my two new Fenwick rods.....I didn't want the seller to ship them, he had lots of goodies in the back of his pickup truck and four of these clamps, so I grabbed them( good thing I only had $500 left in my wallett. Yes it is pre drilled for the ring, but I have room on the side to tie.
The earlier Tib kits came with bolts and a flat metal clamp, similar to the one on a 6/0. Those bolts and nuts are ss, from Tiburon, kit # TC-4, no Nylon. The bolts are 2" long, the standard 1 1/4" bolts won't work with this type clamp.
Later bro.
Sal

Alto Mare

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 26, 2012, 03:54:12 PM
Sal, I'm amazed at the deals you find.
Bryan, you know what's funny, I've been trying to purchase a right side plate for over a year now. I have a nice 114HL , almost new, with a red spool and the right side plate is damaged by the drag stack. I see many left side plates for sale, but never see a right side plate with the easy access drags. Everytime I decide to purchase a bit up reel to use it for parts, I can't do it, so I end up fixing it and still stuck without a plate :-\.

basto

That`s a nice , solid, simple reel Sal. I can understand you sticking with star drag reels, with all the issues that levers have with sideplate bearings. Keep it simple is good.

DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 27, 2012, 04:19:42 AM
Bryan, you know what's funny, I've been trying to purchase a right side plate for over a year now. I have a nice 114HL , almost new, with a red spool and the right side plate is damaged by the drag stack. I see many left side plates for sale, but never see a right side plate with the easy access drags. Everytime I decide to purchase a bit up reel to use it for parts, I can't do it, so I end up fixing it and still stuck without a plate :-\.

I've been trying to find a left hand maroon handle side plate for a 114H, if I find a red one with the large hole I'll jump on it for you.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Irish Jigger

Quote from: Keta on November 27, 2012, 02:01:34 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on November 27, 2012, 04:19:42 AM

I've been trying to find a left hand maroon handle side plate for a 114H, if I find a red one with the large hole I'll jump on it for you.
After reading Sal's post I contacted my UK Penn rep re a right hand side plate,he said they have been impossible to obtain over here for many years now. I guess that applies to the left hand plate too.

Keta

Try to find a left side bearing for a 349!  They are hard to find but I think one is on the way.  I just missed a old style small bearing left side plate for a 113H I was going to take the bearing out of for a reel that has been setting stripped down in a box for too long.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

broadway

Sal and Lee I'll keep my eyes and ears opened for those plates.  I hate having an undone reel on the bench :(
Ps- Sal, I meant Nylock... they come in stainless with a nylon insert.  I didn't think you trusted a nylon nut to keep that beast attached ;)
Dom

alantani

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 26, 2012, 09:59:53 PM

yeah, sorta like me and spinning reels!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Quote from: alantani on November 27, 2012, 05:08:38 PM
Quote from: Alto Mare on November 26, 2012, 09:59:53 PM

yeah, sorta like me and spinning reels!
I understand, but there is no need to get confrontational, boss ;D.

Keta

Quote from: broadway on November 27, 2012, 04:37:02 PM
I hate having an undone reel on the bench :(

Thanks Dom, let me know about any 349 parts too.  

I have 5 of my personal reels apart on my bench, one old ABU 5000C from 2 years ago that I want to put modern gearing and CF drag washers in and a Avet HX I keep getting the wrong parts for...a reel from hell but fortunatly it's one of mine.  Somehow I ended up with a gear sleeve for a lefty 114H and I can't leave it be, there is always someone on the boat that can't handle a reel with the handle on the proper side.  I'm also trying to convert a Surfmaster 100 to left hand for a friend, I don't think Penn ever made a LH Surfmaster...too bad someone didn't make SS LH gearsleeves  ;D

Today is CAD day as soon as I get my boat covered, SS dogs for the smaller Penn reels will be cut soon.  Drawing a 15-140 is a PIA!

Mark Twain

redsetta

Sal/Lee, I think I have both. Will check tonight and let you know.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

now that's what i call a bargain, a really nice reel...