PENN 114HL WITH A NARROW TIB KIT

Started by Alto Mare, November 26, 2012, 03:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

I just picked up this 114 HL Narrow.
The reel was in a rough shape, but as you can see from the pictures, it cleaned up really nice.

The cost of the reel was $60
New SS Sleeve              $26
New drag kit                 $14
New SS dogs (2)           $10
New SS handle              $40
My custom rod brace      $15

Not a bad Tuna reel for $165. I'm sure on the long run, this baby will outfish those new fancy reels you guys like so much....sorry I had to put that in there ;D.
Enjoy. Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Cone

Great looking reel Sal. I know its top notch inside too. I know who did the work. ;) Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

TomT

Wow!!  You continue to amaze me.  It sure doesn't look rough now.  :)

alantani

looks nice!  i think i have one of those kits left!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

redsetta

Great work Sal - as always.
And well done getting the kitted reel for $60!
It's a 'brute on a budget'  ;) ;D
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

saltydog

Very nice,now go catch some tuna.Great work as always.
William
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Irish Jigger

Lovely job Sal, are those lock nuts on the Rod Clamp?

dobrobill

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Sal, I'm amazed at the deals you find.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

john2244

Sal,
Great deal on the reel and it looks great too.  I have narrow 6/0 but don't use it much, maybe I should.   What size tuna will you target with that reel ??? Will you be trolling or using live bait ??

John

Alto Mare

John, you hear so many different views. All I'm going to tell you is that this reel, the way I have it set up, won't have any issues handling a cow ;).
If we could only get 3.25:1 ss gears, this reel would be very hard to beat for the value, well, mine  already is. I do have ss gears in it , but they're 2.8:1 :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

George4741

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 26, 2012, 03:53:58 AM

Not a bad Tuna reel for $165. I'm sure on the long run, this baby will outfish those new fancy reels you guys like so much....sorry I had to put that in there ;D.
Enjoy. Sal

Sal, I don't know about the others, but no need to apologize to me ;)  I like old-school Penns ;D

It's a great thing, how we often find these complete Tib/Accurate framed reels for less than the cost of a new frame/spool.  Nice score!
  George
viurem lliures o morirem

wallacewt

they look great sal,now for some lever drags

Keta

Quote from: Alto Mare on November 26, 2012, 05:03:23 PM
John, you hear so many different views. All I'm going to tell you is that this reel, the way I have it set up, won't have any issues handling a cow ;).
If we could only get 3.25:1 ss gears, this reel would be very hard to beat for the value, well, mine  already is. I do have ss gears in it , but they're 2.8:1 :-\.

The problem I see is not strength but line capacity, not a factor when fishing over the continental shelf and shallow but when a big fish can dive and not hit bottom for 1200' or more I'd rather have a bigger reel.  I guess you can always snap on a second rig and toss the first rod over the side if you are close to getting spooled.

Having said the above, I don't think I'd feel handycaped using a 114HN for large YFT but I prefer my modified 2 speed reels, there are times 1:1 is a good gear ratio....especialy when you are a busted up old guy.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain