Before & after...

Started by Fish-aholic, November 20, 2012, 03:57:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fish-aholic

Hi Guys,

I had a friend pop over with a Daiwa Saltist 30H the other day. He told me this would be the first time in 4 years that
this reel has left his boat. The reel is used for sea fishing. I decided to take some shots of what it looked like before & after.

Feel free to post your before & after shots, if you would like to add to this thread?!  ;)

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

The reel has had the spool bearings opened; cleaned with carb cleaner and gently blow dried with a can of compressed air.

Spool bearings are oiled with Inox-MX3 and replaced into housing, open.

The white plastic bushing found inside the right side plate is cleaned and oiled with Inox-MX3.

Non spool bearings are opened, hand packed with marine grease; sheilds replaced and reinstalled.

IAR bearing is removeble via a retainer ring; cleaned with carb cleaner; oiled with Inox-MX3 and replaced.

All corrosion is removed using 3 parts white vinegar - 1 part water mixture. This included main/pinion gears, screws,
cage, side plate, base plate etc where corrosion was thick. Once clean, are washed in warm water and dried.

Inside of the pinion gear is cleaned with pipe cleaners and lightly oiled with Inox-MX3.

Carbon fibre drag washers are cleaned and greased with Cal's drag grease.

Side plates, base plate, yoke plate etc has a skin of marine grease applied.

All screws are greased and replaced.

Job done. Now where did I put that beer?!  ;D

Steve.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Dominick

Steve:  That is great to position the before and after photos like that.  Good job.  Thanks.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Alto Mare

Very good job Steve, I thought you were a magician ;D.
Now about that stand, I would sand down the bubbles and apply some good quality paint to it.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

saltydog

Now it's a nice clean reel.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

broadway

That's as good as it gets, Steve... nice job!
Now you gotta tell your friend how to maintain a reel after a trip ;)
PS- great photo line up, thanks
Dom

Fish-aholic

Thanks, Guys!

Sal, thanks for the suggestion, but my friend has already got his reel back aboard his boat. I'll bear your sanding &
painting suggestion in mind when I next service it. Fingers crossed it wont be another 4 year time lapse before I get
my hands on the same reel.  :-\

Dom (broadway), my friend is the type of guy who fishies until his reel(s) become problematic. He's not interested in
maintaining his gear. His reels aren't even lucky enough to have a fresh water rinse after a fishing trip. I have tried, but
it was all in vain. You can lead a horse to water and all that.

Here's a few more before & after shots of a Shimano Speedmaster CFS II:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Such a simplistic designed reel that was built to last.

Steve.

Alto Mare

You know Steve, this is a great idea of the before & after, I believe you deserve a wrench...what do you think Alan?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Sal, give them one of yours and I'll reinburse you...unpolished that is.  ;)  Just kidding.

Wow, you've done a great job steve.  I see these reels in those conditions often.  It's not fun, but there's great satisfaction when you are all done.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Great work Steve - I'm a big fan of Shimano's Speedmaster/Triton era and you've done a cracker job on that one ;)
You're absolutely right - a simple design, built to last...
Thanks for sharing.
Cheers, Justin
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

wallacewt

steve great job. that friend of yours that doesnt look after his reels is a common occurence. recently i thought id teach one a lesson,reel was a  mess.so i sent it off to daiwa aust; the bill was $240aud +. he was very happy and said"its as good as new ,thanks.