114H problems!

Started by shearb, February 16, 2013, 04:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shearb

Ok so I cleaned my 6/0 for the first time and followed Alan's "short guide" on rebuilding it.. good and to the point, but for some reason when I put it all back together and try to put the star drag on I cant!!!! it just keeps spinning and clicking (I hear the dog connecting to the main gear) I re-did this over 10 times and cant figure it out, am I missing something very small? I reversed the dog just to make sure but it still does the same thing. How can I get the star drag on??? Thanks!!

Cone

Put the reel in gear and hold the spool. Now you should be able to thread on the drag star. HTH Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

shearb

Cone

Well the problem is the drag stack is not compressed so everything spins. Lay the star on the gearsleeve and put the handle or handle nut on so you have something to hold on to. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

shearb

lol, i tried that to... no luck for me! Thanks for helping though

saltydog

Just a thought,did you remove the pin in the gear sleeve on teardown and not relace it when you assembled the reel.I did that 2 times last year.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

shearb

Hmm, pin? LOL! i guess not!

Bryan Young

Use a set of narrow pliers, wrench, or the like to hold the gear sleeve and turn the star making sure its not cross threading. One you get past a certain point that you can use the handle to hold the gear sleeve.  Then spin the star down to clear the handle Sao that the handle fits snug. Then you'll be goog to put the handle screw in.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

shearb

Alright, i'll give it a try tomorrow, thanks!

Bryan Young

Oh yeah, make sure you hold the flat sides only.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 16, 2013, 06:53:45 AM
Use a set of narrow pliers, wrench, or the like to hold the gear sleeve and turn the star making sure its not cross threading. One you get past a certain point that you can use the handle to hold the gear sleeve.  Then spin the star down to clear the handle Sao that the handle fits snug. Then you'll be goog to put the handle screw in.

I don't like using pliers, a small crescent wrench or the proper open end wrench works better.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

I normally use a narrow open box end wrench myself, but had to use pliers in a pinch when the person I was helping had nothing else.

Keta

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 16, 2013, 05:55:29 PM
I normally use a narrow open box end wrench myself, but had to use pliers in a pinch when the person I was helping had nothing else.

In the field I've had to use a Leatherman when nothing else was handy.  I even used one to take apart an Avet JX that had the anti reverse jammed with crud, on the deck of a pitching boat.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

shearb

Ok, i finally got it to catch... thanks for all the help guys!