Avet HX 4.2 Single Speed Enhancement

Started by Tarponjack, December 03, 2012, 01:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

greasing the drag washers is highly recommended, of course with cal's grease...love my mxj and waiting for the sx...oooops removing spool bearings shields also a must if you'll do distance casting... tight lines.

Keta

Quote from: Tarponjack on December 04, 2012, 10:18:19 AM
15ibs is a far cry from the 22@ strike 28max as advertised......

Your HX should do 22lbs at strike, mine do.  Anything over that and you will dammage the pinion bearing.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tarponjack

Thanks Again,

I'm fully confident that this will do the job.
I plan on using 50-60lb braid strike set at 17lbs, I'll check the drag at max to see what I get at that strike setting.

All I need is a rod that can do the job :)

Tarponjack

Well, sent the reel for spooling and it has problems right out of the box :-[

The handle turns, the spool doesn't move.
I didn't do anything to the reel, just sent it out after getting it, off to a bad start.....

So I sent it to Avet, and bought a Penn 16VSX..

alantani

sorry to hear that.  avet makes a prettty good reel.  i'm sure they'll straighten it out. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

forrest

I have one and about 14 to 15lb at strike is all it will do without handle bind, 22lb isnt an option, sorry

day0ne

Quote from: forrest on December 23, 2012, 12:48:11 AM
I have one and about 14 to 15lb at strike is all it will do without handle bind, 22lb isnt an option, sorry

An HX? That sounds more like a JX/LX. If it is indeed an HX, Avet needs to have a look at it
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Tarponjack

The 15lb sounds consistent with many, but others get 22lbs, I would prefer to err on the side of caution.

I didn't know that lever drag reels could be this finicky..

Someone should start a   " Do's and Don't " thread about the use of lever drag reels

day0ne

Quote from: Tarponjack on December 23, 2012, 01:23:09 PM

I didn't know that lever drag reels could be this finicky..

I've never found them to be finicky and I have over 30 of them (TLD's, Avet's, Accurates, etc). Most have a very simple design. That is why I said that something seemed to be wrong if an HX started binding at 15 lbs. Possibly a bad bearing
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter