Main Menu

New to site

Started by Kaiser, December 05, 2012, 04:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaiser

Hi Ho, from eastern PA, I fish the eastern canyons from the Norfolk to the Welker. I am very interested ( and intimidated) in learning how to service my reels. I currently have  4-50 vsx 2- 80vsw and two 50 vs that need to be serviced. I am quite experienced with mechanical things but the reels seam to have a mysterious aw about them.

Hope to learn a bunch for you guys and from what I read so far, I have no doubt.

Kaiser

Cone

Welcome, Kaiser. You are probably close to Sal (Alto mare).  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Bryan Young

Aloha Kaiser, and Welcome.

Kamuwela will be your best bet for assistance.  He has maintained many of those big reels you are talking about.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bill B

Welcome from Northern California
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Irish Jigger

alantani

welcome.  get a bearing packer to pack the non-spool bearings with yamaha grease, get some tsi 301 for the spool bearings and some cal's grease for the drag washers.  figure the first reel with take you 6 hours, the second will take three hours, and the rest will take 2 hours.  stay organized, take pictures of parts along the way to make yourself a photographic bread crumb trail, you'll be fine. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Kaiser

I did the first 50 VSX seamed easy but my drag is on full even on free?
Thought I would post before I break it back apart

alantani

how long did it take you for the first reel, start to finish?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kamuwela

welcome kaiser the free spool problem is most likely the cam not in exactly right. does it go into free spool when you push the lever to full? if the answer is yes then the cam is off a little. you can fix this with out tearing it down. remove the handle and bridge cover flip over the drag lever and move the cam till you get free then flip the lever back over and see if that does the trick.

Alto Mare

Welcome Kaiser! about servicing those reels, just think as I do...if someone else can do it, so can I.
Just don't blame me if things go wrong or get out of hand ;D.
I'm also an East Coaster, but a few hours  North from you.
Get good with those reels, I'm thinking of having a fishing competition one day, West Coast vs East Coast ;)
Enjoy your stay.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

UK Ron

Kaiser

Quote from: kamuwela on December 08, 2012, 07:26:36 AM
welcome kaiser the free spool problem is most likely the cam not in exactly right. does it go into free spool when you push the lever to full? if the answer is yes then the cam is off a little. you can fix this with out tearing it down. remove the handle and bridge cover flip over the drag lever and move the cam till you get free then flip the lever back over and see if that does the trick.
The preset spline was not in its slot. Really pretty quick fix.

I did the reel in two evenings but all total was not more than 5 hr. the step by step Alan did was great (he should publish these) and this combined with the fact I have been around precision machinery for years made this prevention  maintenance fun.

I was surprised how little corrosion was in there, I use Salt-Away after each trip and I am not going to change that regiment after opening this one reel up.

9 more reels to go ;D

Keta

Quote from: Kaiser on December 10, 2012, 12:14:59 AM
h the fact I have been around precision machinery for years made this prevention  maintenance fun.

What do/did you do?  I was a millwright/powerhouse mechanic for many years, then I got a good job with the Alaska Marine Highway.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

welcome to Mr. Tani's neighborhood...