Drag stack

Started by BMITCH, December 20, 2012, 11:35:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BMITCH

Keta, sounds like a plan. Thanks bob
luck is the residue of design.

Alto Mare

Nice scissors will also work for the OD to cut down on dust, just mark and cut. As for the ID, you don't have much choice, if you use a dremmel...just do it outdoors.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Jimmer

You can also use a sheet metal step drill to enlarge the ID, that's what I use. these go on sale cheap at harbor freight often, and they self center well.
What - me worry?   A.E.Neumann

Alto Mare

Good idea Jimmer, someone else mentioned it, I believe it was Cone....I didn't remember.
About the OD, Nessie Hunter did a great Job using an X-Acto knife.
You have a few options Bob, see what works best for you.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

TomT

A couple of weeks ago in a similiar post, Alan recommended to someone to use a "hollow Punch Set" and gave an attachment to click on and look.  I did and the price was too rich for me--either $250 or $350.  I did an online search and came up with a set distributed by TOOL KING.  I looked on their site and also on Amazon.  These sets sell for approx $40.. plus $20 shipping. They have 27 pieces and go from 1/8" to 2".   I just received mine and cut out a couple of CF washersjust to test it out.  It cut out the wahsers just fine  This set is not high quality, but it does what I want it to do at approx $200 savings over a "good set".  This may or may not work for some of you.  The usual disclaimer is that the only association I have with Tool King or Amazon is being a customer.
Tom

alantani

if you have a link, please post it.  this could really help out.  i think i spent too much money......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

kenwahoo

I've just done some washers this way. Firstly, punch out washers with wad or hole punch. Even the cheapest sets are too expensive for me and I also only need 2 or 3 sizes so I went and found steel pipe with the approx id a bit oversize to the od of the washer. Grind one end to sharpness and voila a wad/hole punch. Mark out centre and used leather hole punch for that. Fit a long bolt exact size of centre hole and fit carbontex washers between steel ones and tighten with nut. Mount bolt in drill and using a grind stone I can grind the carbontex to required diameter, that's why you cut your carbontex oversize. This way my washers are exactly round and centred.

Irish Jigger

X2, very good idea kenwahoo.