Harbor freight tool stand & mobil base.

Started by STRIPER LOU, February 27, 2016, 01:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

STRIPER LOU

I mentioned in another post that I use several HF, hd tool stands. Very reasonable and quite sturdy and after you add a top and a shelf its like a rock! $24.00 w/coupon. I wanted to put some casters on my buffer/grinder combo so I can bring it next to the lathe and deburr and polish while the machine is cutting.
I priced out some wheels, angle iron, and misc hardware and it came to about $40.00 and I still have to build it!
Back up to HF to look at their mobile base kit. Box was heavy and that's always a good sign, looked pretty good so home it comes. $34.00 with coupon.

Kind of an unusual animal but actually quite ingenious. The wood framing that you supply ties it all in. The part that makes it cool is it will pretty much cover any size base as long as your wood is cut to the correct size.
One oddity is it takes 1 1/4" lumber. I was too lazy to get the table saw out of the garage and found some pressure treated deck balusters. Had to plane them down a bit on the ends with the power plane and it was good to go.
Its a tad bulky but other than that it works great. Takes about and hour to hour and a half to cut wood and assemble. 2 rubber based pads on the front are jacked down and locked in place using the wing nuts. Retract the pads and its ready to move. Rolls quite easily.
What do ya think???????
...............................Lou

Tool stand # 95128  Mobil base kit #95288

foakes

Thanks for sharing this, Lou --

Looks great!

If by chance you get any walking or vibration -- go to the scrap yard, and get a scrap piece of 1" steel a little smaller than the lower plywood piece -- then just lay it in place over the plywood.

If you look around fabricating places -- you might get one for free, or trade out for a reel service.

This will stabilize it and give you a stronger, heavier, and lower center of gravity when doing some hard grinding.

This is an old trick used by lathe workers.

May not be necessary.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Alto Mare

Wow Lou, $34 is ridiculously cheap and it looks good. As Fred mentioned, if a brace is needed here and there to stiffen it up,  it won't be a big deal... very nice!
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

thorhammer

Lou very nice.  I'm getting on board with stuff on casters; makes my workspace versatile and adaptable to the job at hand. Johns post on modular tooling at his bench got me going on that.

John

Ron Jones

I like it a lot!
No HF in Hawaii, but I will definatly get a couple when I am back in Wa.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"