Greasing spool bearings.

Started by Nortical, January 15, 2013, 08:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nortical

Firstly thanks to Alan and all on here for the info.  Very helpfull.

My queston is with regards to greasing the spool bearings.  I run TLDs and tyrnos's in Australia mainly for tuna and sharks.  Im not interested in freespool at all as we eiether troll or drift livebaits.  To protect the spool bearings is the best way to grease them like you would on the pinion bearing?  Have all ready had the RH spool bearing fail once due to salt water.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

since you don't need to cast far, yes greasing will better protect the bearings...tight  lines!

Nortical

Keta

I like as much freespool as possable for live bait (small bait mid to large reels, 8" sardine on 30 and 50 reels for fish up to 258lbs....so far) For trolling reels I grease ALL bearings.  If you have had a bearing failure then you should grease them or cut the time between servicing them, every month for high use charter reels and mid season for weekend use reels.

If they come off pop the shield/seal off and fill the bearings with grease then put the shield/seal back.  Alan's bearing packers work real good but you can force grease into the bearings with your finger.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain