For Sale $64.99 ea: 416 Stainless Steel Heat Treated 4:1 Gear Set for PENN 113H

Started by Black Pearl, January 22, 2013, 01:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Pearl

Quote from: lasparky11 on June 21, 2013, 06:21:43 AM
I talked to Dawn (via email) the new gear sets (500) that she has, had to sent back to the machine shop. Something to do with the center hole. She also said that it might not fit the 5 stack drag. Just thought I give you an update. Still want the set your going to make.
Gene
Hi Gene,

I don't think that gear set will work in JM 500 at all regardless the center hole fits or not. I think it will fit the JM 505 only after it is fixed by the Smooth drag's supplier.

franky

I'm not sure if it was mentioned before...

Can this gear set be installed in the china made penn 113 HLW?

Black Pearl

Quote from: franky on June 28, 2013, 12:01:34 AM
I'm not sure if it was mentioned before...

Can this gear set be installed in the china made penn 113 HLW?

It should work with the PENN 113H2LW (China made). I just check Scott bait & tackle site.

floating doc

I'm excited; this means I'm that much closer to my 112H gears!
Central Florida

Makule

Had a chance to try these on the water over the weekend.  So far, they seem good enough to stay in the reels.  Nothing big to pull in, but very smooth and the upgraded drag presented enough resistance to keep me happy.  The next question for me will be whether these stand the test of time of long-term abuse and neglect.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

stradly1

Will this gear set work for a 113h2? If so, I will be contacting you seconds after your reply.

Black Pearl

Quote from: stradly1 on August 26, 2013, 07:43:26 PM
Will this gear set work for a 113h2? If so, I will be contacting you seconds after your reply.
That will fit the 113H2 (China) model as well.

Thanks,
Alan

steve chung

entering freespool is quite rough with my stainless gearset and i was wondering if anyone else was having the same prob. my set came from Dawn at smoothdrag about 6 weeks ago.

my setup:

- 113H with Tiburon P40 Frame
- stainless gear sleeve
- stainless dog
- stainless pinion yoke (sanded and buffed where it contacts the jack)
- heavy (non-aluminum) spool
- the rest is stock but the eccentric lever, jack and spring were replaced a couple months ago

switching to freespool is smooth with the original gearset (without swapping any other parts).

with the stainless set: there's slight resistance to enter freespool with no load, significantly more resistance with 10-16oz jigheads and it's damn near impossible with 2.5lb salmon balls on the line. i've noticed that the spool wants to move backwards a bit as the eccentric lever comes back. so helping out with the thumb enables freespool. using the thumb is no problem with 10-16oz jigs/leads but it gets awkward at 2.5lb.

or is this just expected behavior with helical gears since the teeth aren't straight?

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

Black Pearl

Quote from: steve chung on September 05, 2013, 12:04:03 AM
entering freespool is quite rough with my stainless gearset and i was wondering if anyone else was having the same prob. my set came from Dawn at smoothdrag about 6 weeks ago.

my setup:

- 113H with Tiburon P40 Frame
- stainless gear sleeve
- stainless dog
- stainless pinion yoke (sanded and buffed where it contacts the jack)
- heavy (non-aluminum) spool
- the rest is stock but the eccentric lever, jack and spring were replaced a couple months ago

switching to freespool is smooth with the original gearset (without swapping any other parts).

with the stainless set: there's slight resistance to enter freespool with no load, significantly more resistance with 10-16oz jigheads and it's damn near impossible with 2.5lb salmon balls on the line. i've noticed that the spool wants to move backwards a bit as the eccentric lever comes back. so helping out with the thumb enables freespool. using the thumb is no problem with 10-16oz jigs/leads but it gets awkward at 2.5lb.

or is this just expected behavior with helical gears since the teeth aren't straight?

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Hi Steve,

One of the member had a similar problem. The following PM is from him to me. If that works, you will have to say "Thanks" to SeaDawg.

"I took the reel apart for about the 5th time again today, change the yoke, put it back together, still hanging up. I took the handle side off the frame and looked inside hard while shifting it in and out if gear and I finally saw that the problem looked to be centered around the Eccentric Jack. I had considered this before, but I had not looked at it closely enough apparently Smiley There were little grooves cut into the tits on the Eccentric Jack where they pushed the yoke down when putting the reel in free spool. Any tension on the spool from tight line and it simply would not slide across the yoke, it would just get hung up."

Thanks,
--Alan

steve chung

Quote from: Black Pearl on September 05, 2013, 12:37:47 AM
Hi Steve,

One of the member had a similar problem. The following PM is from him to me. If that works, you will have to say "Thanks" to SeaDawg.

"I took the reel apart for about the 5th time again today, change the yoke, put it back together, still hanging up. I took the handle side off the frame and looked inside hard while shifting it in and out if gear and I finally saw that the problem looked to be centered around the Eccentric Jack. I had considered this before, but I had not looked at it closely enough apparently Smiley There were little grooves cut into the tits on the Eccentric Jack where they pushed the yoke down when putting the reel in free spool. Any tension on the spool from tight line and it simply would not slide across the yoke, it would just get hung up."

Thanks,
--Alan

Hi Alan,

thanks for the super quick response. if the eccentric jack was grooved/notched i imagine the original gears would have the same issue but they do not. i took it apart again to be sure and the tits look/feel smooth. :)

the eccentric lever also moves very freely with the sideplate off:

but with 33oz of load it just gets stuck:

i thought it might be getting stuck where the pinion gear meets the spool shaft so i filed the inside of the gear a little to match the wear pattern on the original pinion but it didn't help.

any other ideas? thanks again Alan.

Alto Mare

Get the ss yoke and place it on a piece of medium grade sandpaper on a flat surface, apply a little pressure with your index and middle finger and go in a circular motion for a couple of dozen times, finish with fine sandpaper.
The yoke is just a little thicker, it doesn't take much. Make sure the side with the eased edges faces up when installing.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

steve chung

Quote from: Alto Mare on September 05, 2013, 02:48:20 AM
Get the ss yoke and place it on a piece of medium grade sandpaper on a flat surface, apply a little pressure with your index and middle finger and go in a circular motion for a couple of dozen times, finish with fine sandpaper.
The yoke is just a little thicker, it doesn't take much. Make sure the side with the eased edges faces up when installing.

nice. thanks for the recommendation Alto Mare. i sanded and buffed the areas on the stainless yoke where the jack makes contact a couple months ago but did not sand down the whole piece. will give that a shot tomorrow.

the original brass yoke with the stainless gearset exhibits the same behavior. i'll get both yokes on the calipers tomorrow too.

steve chung

the same problem exists after taking some 80 and 150 grit to the ss yoke. the used brass yoke was 1.13mm and i sanded the ss yoke from 1.19mm to 1.14mm. hmm, it seems that i'm the only one reporting probs with this ss gearset so i'll install them in another 4/0 and see if it does the same thing. its back to the original gearset for now. thanks for trying fellas.

Black Pearl

Quote from: steve chung on September 05, 2013, 11:46:59 PM
the same problem exists after taking some 80 and 150 grit to the ss yoke. the used brass yoke was 1.13mm and i sanded the ss yoke from 1.19mm to 1.14mm. hmm, it seems that i'm the only one reporting probs with this ss gearset so i'll install them in another 4/0 and see if it does the same thing. its back to the original gearset for now. thanks for trying fellas.
If you install on the other 4/0 reel, and it has the same result, please send the gear set toe and I will replace it with a new gear set back to you.

Alto Mare

Quote from: steve chung on September 05, 2013, 11:46:59 PM
Well, looks like you're checking everything you could possibly check.  :-\
Try cleaning the inner side of the pinion gear with some stainless steel wool and also the spool shaft.
The way I clean my spool shaft is to choke one end on a drill and let the other end spin in some steel wool.
I realize that you've mentioned all is good with the original set, still try cleaning the spool shaft.
The new pinion gear might be a hair tighter on the ID and the notched area from the original.
Good luck!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.