S.S. sleeve for 259

Started by twopatch, January 27, 2013, 07:50:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

I went over this with someone here a couple months ago. My 180 has the smaller shaft, I am running the jigmaster sleeve with no issues. I guess if you are planning on really stressing the reel you will want the larger post.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Ron, it's nice that it is working out for you, I do have the larger  post and still get too much movement. I'm  not crazy about it and I mentiomed it to Alan, the (4) sleeves that I received about 4 month ago are all too lose. I'm worried the gears might strip. I hope they'll make them tighter in the future.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

sal, were they plain stainless steel or did they have brass inserts? 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Alto Mare

Alan, this is the first I hear of the brass inserts. All of my sleeves that you've been sending me never had one, even the 6/0's.
Were others experiencing the same as me with those?
Sal

By the way, the 98-114's are not too bad.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Alan,
     I haven't heard of the brass inserts either, but I've got a couple loose ones' as well.  Is the brass insert the solution? I didn't mention anything because I assumed it was okay and would align properly once it was all together again. :-\
Thanks,
Dom

Alto Mare

Dom, how much slop do you have? You will never get zero movement with any sleeve, all bridge and sleeve that came through my hands had a little slop, this is normal. This particular one, the 98-60 is a little more than usual, I would say double. Still, we talking little movement.
I don't have any issues with the 98-114, they are great and the 98-113 are just as good.
Sal

alantani

there have been several different runs.  the gear sleeves with the brass inserts were a big oops on the part of the machine shop and none of them were ever shipped.  but they were really loose and that's why they had to be fixed in this manner.  this is the first i've heard of any more wobble.  guys, send me pm's with your addresses and let me send out some replacements for you to play with.  

you have the 98-60's, right?  

Keta

The ones with the brass insert should run smoother on a SS shaft than SS on SS, do you have any left?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

alantani

not sure, but i should have enough.  let me know.......

broadway

I will have to check again.  The were 98-113, and I will compare them to past sleeves I've gotten from Alan.  I received 2 from electra-mate that were too tight out of a batch of 6 (1 or 2 years ago).  It happens I guess.
Keep yas posted when I get a chance to tinker next ;)
Dom

Alto Mare

Alan, I checked again and could only find (2) that are lose. I did get (4) from you at once, but I think those were 98-113.
Don't worry about sending anything to me, I will experiment with these, unless you need me to send them to you for the machinist.
I wanted to mention it so the machinist can make adjustments.
One day I will post a shot of all the parts that I've messed up, by experimenting ;D.
Just to recap, my 98-113 and 98-114 are fine, the 98-60 that you sent me before these bad ones were also fine :-\
These are the last ones that I got from you, sorry I can't remember the date.
Does the machinist need a bridge so he can test the first one?

The brass inserts are a great idea, Penn has been using those as isulators on gears to quiet them down.

By the way Alan, I'm getting ready to place another order for the 98-60, please let me know if they're available, I just hope they're not the same ones as these lose ones ;D .
Do you use the same machinist? The last 98-114 were amazing.....great craftsmanship!
Sal

broadway

"The brass inserts are a great idea, Penn has been using those as isulators on gears to quiet them down."

So, that's why they use them... wonder why Newell didn't throw an insert in... they are loud. :-\
PS- I still have an old 113 that neither hole lines up for the pin last year, but like a real genius I put it with the rest of the ss sleeves and will have to try them all if my eyes can't see the difference.  These sleeves are a saving grace to many of us... I'm not knocking them... I love them but oopsy's happen in every business ;)
Thanks,
Dom

Keta

I have a coffee can full of SS scrap from my "oopsy's"!

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

Dom, I have a 6/0 ss sleeve that you couldn't put the pin in. The pin would go in part way and bind up the sleeve. I talked to Alan and Sal got one that did the same. Sal filed the bottom of his sleeve. I filed a flat on the top of the pin and it works great now. No slop. Maybe something similar would work with yours. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

broadway

Thanks for the advice... In gonna try one of them.
Thanks,
Dom