Trinidad 14 and 12 spool bearing removal

Started by Killerbug, February 12, 2015, 09:24:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Killerbug

I need someones help here, I can't figure out how to remove the drive side bearing. I have removed the spool shaft pin, but the bearing
seems to be kept in place be a c-clip?.

https://fishshop.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/exploded_views/TN12_v1_m56577569830818015.jpg
http://forum.esoxhunt.dk
-----------------------------
They say Catch and Release fishing is a lot like golf.
You don't have to eat the ball to have a good time

Bryan Young

I have seen that the shaft sometime has flanges from the pin being forced through the hole or the drilling of the hole.  You just have to get something under there and pull (or yank).
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Killerbug

The problem is, that there is no space to get any tools under the bearing.  Another weird thing, is that the schematic do not list the driveside
bearing as a part.

Alto Mare

If its not listed you might need to replace the complete plate. I've done it not long ago on a bait casting reel and couldn't put it back, the manufacturer told me if the part in not listed on the part list, it doesn't come off :-\.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Fish-aholic

Shimano don't have any part #'s detailed on their schematic for the parts housed on the RHS of the spool because they only offer 'spool assemblies' for the TN series. These assemblies include a spool, centrifugal brake plate and R/S bearing. This is a good reason not to go direct to Shimano if only wanting to replace a R/S bearing.  :-\   

It's a tough situation when you have limited space to work around. Is the bearing salvageable or shot? If it's the latter, you may want to consider carefully cutting it off. I'm surprised no one else has chimed in in offering advice, unless like myself, it's not a situation they've had to deal with themselves with that particular reel ???

For the record, the centrifugal brake plate is also removable. I've done so on numerous TN14's.

Bryan Young

I have used the vice grip that has been grinded down like the one Alan has.

for those reels.  There isn't much space for a bearing pin tool in there.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Killerbug

Tanks everyone, does the new TN 12/14 also suffer from this PROBLEM! 

Fish-aholic

Quote from: Bryan Young on February 12, 2015, 02:23:26 PM
I have seen that the shaft sometime has flanges from the pin being forced through the hole or the drilling of the hole.  You just have to get something under there and pull (or yank).

Quote from: Killerbug on March 08, 2015, 09:55:41 AM
Tanks everyone, does the new TN 12/14 also suffer from this PROBLEM! 

KB, are you referring to the latest silver Trinidad "A" series?

I've not long finished servicing the latest model Trinidad 14A for a friend (first encounter with this model). I discovered the same issue as you had (retaining pin removed but the R/S bearing stuck in place). I've serviced a lot of the earlier gold Trinidad series and have not come across this issue, unless through corrosion.

I've quoted Brian's post because that is the exact diagnostic to the problem I had earlier experienced.

First I tried using the wrist strap from my digital camera and tucked it under the R/S bearing to help aid in worming it off. No joy with that approach. I decided to cut a small section of 800 grade and gave the shaft a rubdown for a few minutes before using the wrist strap again. After 20 minutes of task I managed to worm the bearing free from the shaft.

I thought I'd share my similar experience to yours and my resolution to the issue. ;)