Torium

Started by Roger, February 01, 2009, 01:37:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roger

Any help on a Torium 50? Pro's & Con's
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

alantani

they're fine.  how much drag were you going to use?  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Roger

Thanks Alan, My sons looking at one and I'm thinking about about 20# or there abouts.
Roger

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."   Mark Twain

Rocketman

Quote from: alantani on February 02, 2009, 10:10:04 PM
they're fine.  how much drag were you going to use?  alan

How much is available on those? I have two that I use for bottom fishing with 80# braid. The one with the original drag washers is fine with plenty of drag pressure. The one that I had rebuilt with the carbontex drag washers that will not achieve as much as I need. Will going back to the original drag washers increase drag pressure? Any other upgrades to be had for those reels?

Thanks - RM
Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it!

handi2

The original Dartanium drag washers will probably give more max drag because of the material used in the drag washer. As you know it's a slick material and when fully compressed they almost "stick" together. When they get older they do stick when you don't want them to.

The only other modifications are the spring loaded dogs that will never slip but you will have a clicking reel.

I use the TN40N for the same thing and I have the spring actuated dogs. The AR bearings in the reels will not hold that much drag. Every Trinidad or Torium I have serviced the dogs were beat up mighty bad. Most people don't even know the AR bearing is slipping because the dog or dogs catch right away.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

fIsHsTiiCkS

Just depends on how old your torium is, shimano did a drag upgrade to the toriums at one point and then all others manufactured after had the drag upgrade done. If I remember Correctly it was a whole new side plate, gear shaft and a new top metal drag washer.

As for the carbontex, there really isn't a better drag material. I did that upgrade on my torium and I was pushing 24# of drag to the point the ARB was slipping at around 22#. So if you aren't getting the desired drag than there might be another issue.

AR dog as stated and there is a 4.9:1 gear ratio SS gears for this reel as well. A little rough but much better suited for live bait fishing.

Rocketman

Thanks for all the reply's - thinking I may want to "Hot Rod" one of these and see how it does.... ;D

Anyone know approx. cost for a whole upgrade?

Thanks - RM
Those who forget the past are condemned to repeat it!

alantani

i think the carbontex drag set is $26 and the pair of dog/spring sets will be $6.  let me know if you need anything.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!