Penn 40GLS

Started by nook55, December 12, 2009, 01:03:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mako42

Taily, What I meant by jerkiness is that it took more energy to get the spool started turning under pressure from a fish. The fish would bend the rod, then the spool would started turning then it would slow down, then load up again.  When I used a tld 20 for the first time, the drag was smoooooth.  I was hooked, and never really used the 45's much after that.  I'm hoping Cals drag grease will make a world of difference in the drag.  I just gotta clear the cobwebs outta the reels and see.

wolvie

OK, so I got the 40 working, but the cranking is rough due to the bearing on the pinion gear.  I can't get the bearing or the pinion gear out of the side plate.

There appears to be a bushing in the plate that prevents me from driving it out from the outside face and I can't pull it out from the inside. 

I left it in p-blaster overnite to make sure rust was not the issue, but no help.

Any helpful suggestions?  Is it not supposed to be removable or do I need a special technique?

Taily

Didn't realise this post was here.

The bush isn't (or at least isn"t meant to be) removable.

To get the bearing out you need a similar tool to the one used to get the small bearing out of a 113H cup. Something like a rivet mandrel flattened down with a hammer at one end and then shapped into a hook like prying device.

Takes patience but usually it will come out easily enough.

How did you go?

Dave
Nunc est bibendum....