Looking for new lever drag

Started by multifuel, February 08, 2013, 02:04:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

multifuel

I bought a Jigging set up lst night- A Daiwa Exceler EXC6500T (140$) with an OTI Jigging rod on sale for 199$

I keep reading and the Fury and Squall are on my short list. I would be buying two so thats what stopping me. Then again maybe one of each!?? Charkbait has a deal for both now and while I have found them cheaper by the time I bought line the 20 dollars saved isn't.

I probably will lock a choice down before Monday the 11th, maybe I will get both. Kinda dont like using 4 different reels on my trolling set up though. Already am using a tld on one and a gld on the other- Have i mentioned how much more I like the Penn? :) - everyone that uses compares thinks it is a better reel. Man i shoulda bought two when they were 190$. Could have sold my TLD and looking back that would be highly satisfactory to me.
OK- so for 600 bucks or so for two reels, what would YOU spend your money on for a Lever Drag that is a troller and maybe some other action- DEFINITELY under 100 pound catch weight fish, I have never caught anyting bigger (Are you listnening Murphy!) but AJ's, Sails, Groupers all in mind. Thanks again!

SoCalAngler

Since you like the GLD's how about 2 GLD 20's (around $190 each) or 20II's. I feel a two speed reel offers me much more felixiblity, good for trolling, will move big AJ's or grouper away from deep structor with low gear and more.

I fish alot of smaller 2 speeds for my fishing down in Baja but my application is a mixture of live bait, yoyo iron and trolling where smaller reels are much more comfy to fish. In my mind it was worth spending more for 2 speed reels than having several to cover the type of fishing I do. Just a thought.

wallacewt

reels for jigging.
you can use just about any reel for jigging.
the problem starts when its big heavy jigs, deep water, strong current.
big fish take small jigs as well.
ive seen jigs nearly a metre long online,imagine that! ::)

multifuel

Quote from: SoCalAngler on February 09, 2013, 06:18:56 PM
Since you like the GLD's how about 2 GLD 20's (around $190 each) or 20II's. I feel a two speed reel offers me much more felixiblity, good for trolling, will move big AJ's or grouper away from deep structor with low gear and more.

I fish alot of smaller 2 speeds for my fishing down in Baja but my application is a mixture of live bait, yoyo iron and trolling where smaller reels are much more comfy to fish. In my mind it was worth spending more for 2 speed reels than having several to cover the type of fishing I do. Just a thought.
I dont want the weight, 40+ oz.-  Why i sold the avet's.
I do live lining w/ sardines and pilchards, trolling and bottom fishing ( and now trying hi speed jigging) so that is what i am hoping to accomplish. What light weight reels are you using that I can pick 15-65lbs range and fish comfortably all day. I am hoping to go as light weight with drag to mid 20's. the smaller avet (jx-lx) dont have enough muscle. I had those exw 4 0 2speeds on some heavy full rollers from pinnacle and they were HEAVY and i really dont need all that. My go-to deep water has been the gld30 1 speed and tld25 on so roller tip penn trolling rods that are great. I have never caught anything ever over a 100 lbs and just dont need a 2 speed heavy reel. (Murphy this is a direct challenge!) so something under 30 oz's and on a much lighter action pole should prove more useful and FUN! So the challenge is what new LD is available that is not heavy,20+ lbs of SMOOTH drag and built well under 300 preferably 220 -ish? the accurate fury reels are tantalizing, and if they were a little less i would have pulled the trigger. I have a few in mind, just gathering as much data as possible from the people that use them so i can make my best choice as possible. I know so much is preference but that is what i am trying to ascertain- what LD are you using and why do you love it ( or something else!) and if you had to buy two new trolling reels that are LD's what would that be?

multifuel

Well- ordered 2 Squall 60's from charkbait with some extras.
On ebay the best i found was 149$ and this included the shipping. It was 30 more BUT with the braid already on it for 500 yards It was worth it. I have Tsunami med action rods which i bought today but a friend has it and i have fished it, caught a sail on it last summer and I liked the action and it has a round/ball aluminum gimble which is awesome if you have never tried them, dont even need a fighting belt as it doesn't stab you.

Well, it came down to the accurate fury or the Penn, and the penn won by sheer affordability and great reviews. Now hopefully will get it wet next weekend!

Thank you all for your input, it was appreciated! This site is an excellent resource. I discovered Alan from my Seaswirl owners website several years ago and bought 3 'mano handles from him, which as you know are an awesome upgrade.