Upgrading a Surfmaster 100

Started by Alto Mare, February 08, 2013, 04:45:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

I have my 100s (and 150)  filed with 40lb white with 150' of 60lb Decade spliced on the end and short L2L topshots of the proper weight mono, usually 20lb and 30lb but sometimes 40lb when around rocks or lingcod.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

erikpowell

Quote from: Keta on February 10, 2014, 12:53:43 AM
Quote from: noyb72 on February 10, 2014, 12:09:14 AM
Sal,
What line do you run on these? I've finally got parts for my Newelled Baymaster with the 100 aluminum spool. I'm thinking 300 yards of 20# braid with the spool filled with 20# mono, but you'd know better than me.
Ron

I'd suggest using 40lb Spectra and 20lb mono.

......x2   i really hate tying anything thinner than 30lb braid...my 100 has 30lb but I will change it out soon for 40lb indicator line.

Ron Jones

That helps. I'm gonna buy a bunch of 40 for other reels, I'll probably use that.
Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Alright Guys, I'm finally coming around. Picked up this 100 for 40 Bucks! :o She is a Beauty. :P This completes my Surfmaster Line up. I already have the 150 and 200 Tib frames, Silver and red. I'm thinking of getting one of the new Green ones for this BABY! It has the steel gears too. ;D The handle is a little tweaked, but I think I can straighten it out.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Nice little reel, don't forget the 250!
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

I Have it Ron! Aluminum spool, Red Handle. I have a silver frame for a 500. I think I'm going to put it on the 250 instead. ;)
I'm probably going to end up With a red framed 200 and 150. Silver 250 and 100. ;D
Life is Good!

Keta

I have 2 narrow (501) Surfmaster 250 reels now.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

So you can narrow a 250 just like a Jigmaster. I See! :)
Life is Good!

Keta

Quote from: Shark Hunter on March 14, 2014, 10:21:52 PM
So you can narrow a 250 just like a Jigmaster. I See! :)

It's as easy as twisting a sideplate onto a 501, mine have both 250 sideplates.   If you want a Tib framed one it uses the Jigmaster frame.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

most of my narrows that I fish with don't have the correct 100 plate, I save those for the ones I keep on the shelf.
That goes for my Jigmasters also.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Tom McKinney

Have wanted to convert a reel to narrow size for a while.  Chose a 100 because the spools are half the price of 501 spools.purchased an old 200 on ebay.  Ordered the frame from tiburon, the drags from Bryan and the dug through the stash of parts I bought. 
Found some newer but not pristine rings  in the stash along with newell long cast bearings and used aluminum spool. The old 200 had a steel bridge and gears.  Gave it the full AT treatment with grease in all the right places and its one sweet reel.Going to spool it up with 40lb spectra and 100 yards of 20lb on one spool and 15 lb on the other spool.

Going to sell my avet, this will be my go to light reel.

What's the best power handle for this? School is yft need a better handle and the drags can take it.

erikpowell

Bula Tom,
You'll love that surfmaster.
With all due respect for the Boss's custom grips (I have 10 on my reels  ;))

I found the 3/0 grip and arm a tad too heavy and unbalanced on this small reel.

I fished it like that a few times but later switched to the stock Penn jigmaster power handle instead.
It's quite a bit lighter and makes the reel feel more balanced IMHO.

I still may try a round knob too as I have a couple of those, but meanwhile, I really like the power handle.

Cheers and enjoy that little powerhouse

Shark Hunter

I like that Blue Frame Eric. You have a 5 stack in that Bad Boy?
Life is Good!

doradoben

If you have a Penn 24-66 from a full size Jigmaster, its a good choice.  You can use a 24-112H from a 3/0 Senator, if you don't want a counter balanced handle. Both are longer than the original 24-155 and have larger grips or some sort of custom that's only limited by imagination, like Eric's top photo.. His second photo is Penn 24-56.

erikpowell

Quote from: Shark Hunter on September 11, 2014, 04:06:49 AM
I like that Blue Frame Eric. You have a 5 stack in that Bad Boy?

Thanks D, it's the Ice Blue, inspired by Sal  ;) 
No 5 stack yet, just Smoothdrag's kit.... I do have the hex insert for it though...almost forgot about that sweet bit.
Truth be told, the drag is so smooth and strong it doesn't need a 5 stack...yet  ;D