penn 505hs gearing

Started by ekvp, January 11, 2013, 09:17:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ekvp

So i used the search function and found a thread that mentions it but dosent confirm or deny that the 4:1 gears of a jigmaster will function properly in a 505hs. Anyone know for sure?

Alto Mare

You could increase the speed from 4:1  to 5:1 on a Jigmaster, as I did here:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=4199.0
but you can't use the 4:1 Jigmaster gears in the 505HS.
The spool on the 4:1 jigmaster is different from the 5:1 (505HS) jigmaster.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

ekvp

Alright good to know, thank you.

twopatch

Quote from: ekvp on January 11, 2013, 09:17:29 PM
So i used the search function and found a thread that mentions it but dosent confirm or deny that the 4:1 gears of a jigmaster will function properly in a 505hs. Anyone know for sure?
[/quote ] You sure can,I did it last week. 500 main and pinon. 505 spool,505 sideplates. :)

Alto Mare

You are right, twopatch, I just checked for myself.
I do want to mention though that the 13-505 sits on the 505 spool shaft nice and snug, but the 13-500 has play.
I'm not sure if that would mean anything when under pressure :-\.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

i've used a 4:1 gear set with a 505 side plate and spool.  it held up ok.  you can use this combination in a pinch, but the proper size pinion gear is better. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Cone

I wonder if you could put a bushing in the 13-500 to take up the slop.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Alto Mare

There isn't enough room for a sleeve on this one, Bob....good thinking though ;).
I've been experimenting on different reels, still no luck with it :-\

Sal

john2244

I put a set of 4.0:1 gears in my 506 last year for rock cod fishing. After 5 or 6 trips it has held up fine but I am only catching rock cod.
Sal is right, there is a little play in the pinion as it seats on the spool.

John

ekvp

Ok, so it does fit and function but with slop and hasnt been proven under heavy load. Did i get that right?

Alto Mare

Yes,  you got it right.
Honestly, I believe you'll be ok, most of these reels  generate 8 to 10 lb.
It would definitely be an issue on larger Senators.
Go fish and enjoy it!
Sal