Experimenting with the 113H drags

Started by Alto Mare, February 23, 2013, 05:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert Janssen

Quote from: basto on March 22, 2013, 10:44:34 PM
Just imagine if someone made a star drag reel with an extra drag on the left side of the reel.... The asthetics would be interesting! 

Yup. Thusly:

J.A. Coxe Cradle Reel 20/0
Picture credit: Ed Pritchard

Alto Mare

Wow!! I wonder how much that baby is worth.
Time to get to the drawing board Doc ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Good thing you're a lawyer cause "you got some splainin' to do"
Dom

wallacewt

oh my   thats a beauty doc.
bent butt  rod and get both handles working.   ::)

saltydog

I bet that would reel in some biguns with greased carbon fiber drags.
Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Makule

The Pfleuger company (and others) actually did produce such a reel.  Named the Atlapac, it had a star drag as is normally found, and on the left side was another drag that was actuated by a thumb lever. 
The lever was spring loaded, so it only worked when pressed.  The extra brake was configured like drum brakes on a car and could add considerable drag, in addition to what was already set by the star drag.  The Atlapac was the top of the line reel from the Pfleuger company.  My impression is that it came in sizes from about a 4/0 to 9/0 (actually larger than the Penn Senator 9/0).

Quote from: basto on March 22, 2013, 10:44:34 PM
Just imagine if someone made a star drag reel with an extra drag on the left side of the reel. You would have a reel with the simplicity of a star drag without all the problems of pinion bearing failure that levers have and it would rival the drag output of a twin drag lever reel like Accurate or Jigging Master. The asthetics would be interesting! 
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

gstours

As a concerned citizen I was browsing in the experimenting with 113h drags discussions that I could find, I too wanted to hotrod a 113h to improve a great reel, I liked the idea if removing material inside the main gear  so drag washered ears could be used. Holding the gear and indexing, controlling depth seemed like the problems.... so I made a wood block, drilled a 1/2 '' hole thru, fitted an alumanum rod in the hole, it fit tightly, then put the pain gear down on it, that kept the lateral movement away, and make cheappy teeth that fit into some of the main gears teeth, this was a scrap of 1/8'' alumanum. and put a few screws tho the wood. held it very tightly, with no harm to the gear, this jig once made could be used many more times, and was free using scrap around the shop...

If people are interested contact Alan Tani and ask him to show whatever pictures on the forum, or maybe his pc?  anyway I will send him my pictures of this and how simple it is to then mill out the grooves for eared washered..  I too an a beginner at this and dont know how to send pictures to this site, so he'll have them.....gstours.....

Alto Mare

Very nice gstours, I'm looking forward to see what you've come up with. Thank you!
By the way, the tungsten carbite bur bits that I use do not cut skin, just like the full diamond rim on a wet saw. These don't cut anything that has flexability.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=can%20a%20bur%20carbide%20bit%20cut%20skin&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CC4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2FBurr_(cutter)&ei=cAF9Ufi3LceR0QHTroGwBA&usg=AFQjCNEj8n9fknVF2sav_geVxgMuSX_VtA
That said, your idea is a much better solution.
Any tool will cut you if you're afraid of it.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

gstours

Hello, and hopefully we can get feedback on the topic of increasing the drag capabilitys of the famous 113h..... Thanks also for all that have contributed to the need with ideas.....now I need the bottom line.....what have people been able to acheive drag weight wise? and has the drage been fish tested? and how?  I would like to hear from anyone that can add information on the subject including how that was acheived.....I too have tried with the idea of improving the range but meet failure each time...I can show pictures of the part modifications if that would help.... id like to learn from you people if possible......post your comments  ok???

BMITCH

Gstours, post the pictures. We LOVE those.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

Quote from: BMITCH on May 12, 2013, 02:53:35 PM
Gstours, post the pictures. We LOVE those.
Bob

gstours, If you need help with them we can do the same thing as last time too.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Some pictures from Gstours:

Alto Mare

I purchased some sheets from Erik
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120960145439?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649
and I wanted to test them and see if they hold up:

lifted  six bricks by turning the handle
took about 30 lb of drag and me turning the handle with both hands.

Pulling ten bricks on a rolling weight was very easy to turn the handle, the scale registered at 35lb
adding ten more bricks it became harder to turn the handle but the scale still registered 35lb

The drag washers did good

chrome came off one of the metal washer

as I mentioned earlier, these washers are 1.10mm with fiberglass reinforcement.

Unfortunately, my rod didn't do so good, the seat got lose

I moved the reel to the left so you can see what I'm talking about. Is this an easy fix?
Anyway, I'm happy with the results.
Erik was honest to let me know that the carbon fiber sheets are not made here in the US.
I like my results and those are ok with me..... take it from here.
Sal

BMITCH

Sal, are those the cf sheets you recently got on eBay??
luck is the residue of design.

redsetta

Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer