penn 209

Started by alantani, December 28, 2009, 01:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alantani

heat treated stainless steel has a funny "tanned" color to it.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

basto

Quote from: alantani on January 22, 2013, 06:22:44 AM
Yes, I have noticed that on my Baja and Torque 200
It looks quite a bit lighter than they do (just like brass) I could email you a photo of it if you are interested.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

Ken_D

I'm no economist,. but could it be, with the high price of copper and tin and zinc,and chrome,  that stainess steel is now cheaper than brass and bronze, which are then chromed.  I think it's a good thing, on reels that are never maintained by their owners...

The pitting of the chrome, leading to that green corrosion all goes away when ss is used. It may be a little duller finish, but it's clean, and undamaged.  

Alto Mare

Quote from: basto on January 22, 2013, 06:14:07 AM
I don`t expect it will pull much drag and I will get a SS sleeve for it, but I love low gear ratios combined with tall spools.
Same here, too bad fishing reel manufacturers don't get it. It appears spools are shrinking more and more as we move along :-\. They need to wake up and start making them taller.
About the 309, any way you could post a shot of the insides here?
I'm also not a fan of levelwind, especially on saltwater. I've seen a few do the same as you're doing, here in the Northeast.
Thanks Basto.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

alantani

Quote from: basto on January 22, 2013, 07:09:36 AM
Quote from: alantani on January 22, 2013, 06:22:44 AM
Yes, I have noticed that on my Baja and Torque 200
It looks quite a bit lighter than they do (just like brass) I could email you a photo of it if you are interested.

from basto!

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

basto

I`m now wondering if the frame rings are also stainless. My magnet will stick to them, but won`t stick to the handle.
The handle is also a lot shinyer.

Alto Mare

That looks good Basto, thanks for the picture and you as well Alan.
Lots of goodies for the money. I could be wrong, but the rings do look like ss to me.
Is the main a 5-500? The teeth on that pinion look deep :-\
My Tank could use that ss jack.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

I just noticed that deep scratch on the jack ::), take your time when assembling, we don't do that here ;D ;D

Ken_D

Another nice touch is the ring around the bottom of the pinion. That will keep it from deforming over time, and not catching the spool anymore.

Cone

Sal, To me it looks like that scratch is a bristle from a brush or a hair. It looks like it runs off the Jack in both pics. I never get anything like dog hair in my reels.  ;) Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

basto

Right on Bob! That scratch on the jack is a hair from my West Highland White terrier, Millie.

Alto Mare

They get their nose in everything, don't they. I have a sheltie, hair gets everywhere.

basto

Hi Sal
my local shop has a chinese 114...I`m wondering what is inside that now.

Alto Mare

Yea, me too. Ask the owner if you can crack it open and do a tutorial at his shop. Tell him the picture would be posted on one of the best fishing reel repair site around ;)....you never know :-\

basto

I`ll have to get to know him a bit better first......actually, I`m trying very hard to ignore it