Tuning a Penn Spinfisher

Started by slugmeister, April 25, 2024, 07:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boon, OhReely and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

slugmeister

When I was growing up, Spiderwire and Fireline was already around, and fairly well known. Even still, when people said "fishing line", you could with relative certainty be sure they were talking about a nylon monofilament. This is nothing against you Foakes, but when I see pictures of spools that apparently were broken by regular old fishing line, I don't think fishing line on a fishing reel is the problem. I think those spools are junk. Call me a heretic if you will, plastic is plastic. It's cost cutting junk today, and it was space age junk back then. At least they made the 710 spool beefy enough to handle fishing line. So do whatever you want for your collections, but I maintain that any reel damaged by fishing line is not something you should be fishing with unless you are a collector. Nylon monofilament is the best backing you can use for a fishing reel today, and I'm not messing with spacers or wraps, or anything else to bandaid a poor design.

P.S. I have never used any kind of machine to spool my reels. I stick a spring and washer on a screwdriver, stick that through a spool of line followed by another washer, then stick that in a bench vice. I adjust that spring tension as I see fit. I don't use a ton of pressure, just what feel like reeling in a lure.

foakes

😄😄😄

Sounds like you have it all figured out, SM —-

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Midway Tommy

Quote from: foakes on May 05, 2024, 07:44:24 PM😄😄😄

Sounds like you have it all figured out, SM —-

Best, Fred

🤣🤣🤣

FYI, Fred, I am, and have, living proof that skirted graphite spools will also crack and break from full spooled mono pressure. I have 3 that came with ABU Cardinal 50 & 150 and Zebco Cardinal 550 series reels I purchased online a few years back.
Love those open face spinning reels! (Especially ABU & ABU/Zebco Cardinals)

Tommy D (ORCA), NE

Favorite Activity? ............... In our boat fishing
RELAXING w/ MY BEST FRIEND (My wife Bonnie)

slugmeister

Quote from: Midway Tommy on May 05, 2024, 09:02:59 PM🤣🤣🤣

FYI, Fred, I am, and have, living proof that skirted graphite spools will also crack and break from full spooled mono pressure. I have 3 that came with ABU Cardinal 50 & 150 and Zebco Cardinal 550 series reels I purchased online a few years back.

If you aren't going to accept my apology, then move along.

quang tran

I fish quite often with DQ220 and 221 with mono and later use mono as backing but never have any plastic spool broke because mono line .I do use drill to load line to spool .Also never have line slip if using mono backing, I do have line slip when not using mono backing