Hello from SF peninsula

Started by jlezama, March 07, 2013, 10:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlezama

Hello and nice to meet you Alan and fellow reel enthusiasts. Looking forward to chat with you all!
For starters, just rescued new "baby" (squidder 146 black) and want to get it ready and upgraded for the rockfish season.
Will post detailed views later and see what Alan et. al. can recommend
Talk to you soon
Juan L.
P.S. How do you attach pictures to posts?
Thanks!

Irish Jigger

Welcome aboard Juan,check link below re posting pictures here.

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=2349.0

saltydog

Remember...."The soldier above all other people prays for peace, for he
must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war!" Douglas
MacArthur

Cone

"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

jlezama

Thanks for the welcome guys!
Here is a pic of the squidder I just picked up and intend to upgrade
Talk to you soon

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bill B

Welcome from east of your location....Sacramento delta
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Bryan Young

That's a nice little reel Juan.

Hmm, what you can do...

greased carbon fiber drag washers
SS gear sleeve
SS or aluminum handle arm with T-handle or ball
Open bearings with a thin lubricating oil (TSI321)
Accurate or Tiburon once piece frame

That's about it...it depends on how much you want to spend.

For local rockcod, 30#-50# braid or 20-30# mono is the most common due to depth we are restricted to.

My recent rockcod rig is a Abu 6500C3, 20# braid, mated with a Lamiglas Inshore Rod with roller guides.  If I'm on the side of the boat that is away from the drift, I normally fish with 3-4 oz jigs so my line scope is twice that of others on the boat, and I have never got tangled, but have been awarded with some prized fish.  If I'm on the side that we are moving in the drift (where most lines end up under the boat, I can switch to 6-8 oz jig and will be fishing almost straight up and down while other fishing with 10-12 weight for the same scope under the boat.  Lighter weight allows me to feel the fish better.  Most fun, and most successful with this set-up than any others I have tried.  Note, it's not the reel, but the line size that you use that will affect how you feel the bite, how quickly the jig gets down and how the scope of the line is controlled with lighter jigs.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dominick

Juan:  Hello and welcome from San Mateo.  If you need anything I'm nearby.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Juan,

Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack your hello thread.  I created a new thread http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6623.msg56332#msg56332 on rigging for rockcod so we can continue to welcome you.

Call me if you have any questions or need a hand.  We could meet at Dominick's since he is halfway between the both of us...

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

jlezama

Hey no apologies needed! Thanks a lot Bryan! Sounds like a plan, will start posting and catching up in the new thread
Juan

kamuwela

aloha and thanks for joining

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

juan, welcome to Mr. Tani's neighborhood...

Norcal Pescador

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD