TUTORIAL: 5500 c3

Started by alantani, December 09, 2008, 11:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

exp2000

Quote from: nelz on February 01, 2019, 07:08:12 PM
How does one remove the cog wheel? Is it a fixed attachment?

The nylon idle gear is a sacrificial part preventing damage to other components in the event that the line guide becomes jammed or obstructed. As such it is often in need of replacement. You need to apply pressure underneath the cog immediately adjacent the mounting post to pop it from it's mount. A table fork bent at 90 degrees or a flat tool bent at a slight angle will allow you to reach underneath to apply pressure.

However, be careful so as not to apply too much pressure as these can sometimes be so stubborn to remove that you may risk loosening the mounting post from the side-plate, especially on newer models. A drop of oil will help coax  the idle gear from it's mounting post but a stream of hot air from a hair dryer will soften the lip of the nylon cog sufficiently to ensure success.

Quote from: nelz on February 01, 2019, 07:08:12 PM
Also, how is the Axle Clip oriented, does the cone point out or into the reel? (Part number 20090) I can't tell from the photo in this tutorial.

The cone fits over a notch in the end of the spindle. It points inwards.
~

nelz

Pieter Arie

Quote from: exp2000 on February 02, 2019, 12:07:52 AMyou may risk loosening the mounting post from the side-plate

That happened to me once on a 6501UC >:(  So the second time on a other reel I did it as shown here in this YouTube movie. Worked perfect for me.

Grt Piet.

nelz

Quote from: Pieter Arie on February 03, 2019, 10:33:38 PMThat happened to me once on a 6501UC >:(  So the second time on a other reel I did it as shown here in this YouTube movie. Worked perfect for me.

I just picked up a nice used 6500C3 that was all mucked up with dry grease. I wanted to remove the cog to clean behind it, but decided to do as best as possible without removing it because it just felt like something was gonna get damaged removing it. (Sprayed it with carb cleaner.)

Anyway, when I'm ready to hot-rod the reel I'll cut it off as per video. That PimpMyReel guy is a gold mine of Abu knowledge!

Thanks Pieter, the vid really cleared it up for me.

Pieter Arie

You're welcom nelz

And yes, PMR is great!!

Grt Piet.

exp2000

Quote from: nelz on February 03, 2019, 10:53:42 PM
Quote from: Pieter Arie on February 03, 2019, 10:33:38 PMThat happened to me once on a 6501UC >:(  So the second time on a other reel I did it as shown here in this YouTube movie. Worked perfect for me.

I just picked up a nice used 6500C3 that was all mucked up with dry grease. I wanted to remove the cog to clean behind it, but decided to do as best as possible without removing it because it just felt like something was gonna get damaged removing it. (Sprayed it with carb cleaner.)

Anyway, when I'm ready to hot-rod the reel I'll cut it off as per video. That PimpMyReel guy is a gold mine of Abu knowledge!

Thanks Pieter, the vid really cleared it up for me.

The new trend is to introduce more complexity perhaps as a selling point for the upgrade mindset.
But does this really benefit the average buyer?

I already retrograde the new integral bearing worm for my customers. The original system will last a lifetime if properly cared for.
The new integral bearing one will stuff up quickly requiring constant replacement of the entire worm assembly so much more servicing and more cost involved.

Likewise, ABU successfully deployed the plain nylon idle gear for decades without bearings.

NEW versus OLD :

Pros:
                Turns more freely but unless you are a competition caster I would be surprised if this translated
                  into any significant real world benefits.

Cons:
                 More complicated to adapt
                 More vulnerable (yet another bearing)
                 Requires sourcing new replacement part plus new retainer.
                 Minimum double original replacement cost vs zero cost my way.

I regularly pop these cogs in well under a minute without damaging them allowing you to re-use the original part.

Guess I must be missing something here?
I know. It's a video! Might have to remedy that.

~

redsetta

I agree - I always try to remove/replace/minimise failure points and simplify (wherever possible) in a way that balances performance and longevity...
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

exp2000

As promised, here is a video of my approach to removing the nylon idle gear from the pivot post on the side-plate of an ABU reel.

This is my first video production and it was made using a GoPro sports camera.

PS: I have now edited this video into a better production.

Hope you enjoy :)

Dominick

Expo 2K thanks for that video.  Always helpful.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

nelz

Well done video Mr. EXP2000, (still don't know your name).

My Penn wrench snapped when I tried to bend it like that, lol.  ::)

Lunker Larry

I like the bent screwdriver idea. Never tried that. What I've been doing is I just make a loop of 100 lb Power Pro, lay it under the cog so that it is centered and yank it straight up. May add the heating up part as that would seem to make it a lot easier.
You know that moment when your steak is on the grill and you can already feel your mouth watering.
Do vegans feel the same when mowing the lawn?

conchydong

The paint can beer bottle openers that they give you at home depot when you buy paint work pretty good for things like this. You can grind them down a bit and use them for bearing pullers also. I love multi tasking tools.

pointbob

I've seen videos where grease is applied to cog wheel. Is that a good idea? Won't that slow things down.

I've done the e-clip mod to the cog wheel and just put a drop of oil on the clip. Should I add grease to the cog wheel teeth too...?
Patience comes to those who wait

alantani

oil is better for better freespool. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

pointbob

Quote from: alantani on November 14, 2022, 06:07:41 PMoil is better for better freespool. 

Thanks Alan. by the way; when putting the spool bearings back in is it ok to have them (bearing side exposed) outward or inward? I took off the bearing seal in order to clean and lube them a while back and did not put the seal back on. Now I forgot which way...or does it even matter.
Patience comes to those who wait