TLD 30II drag issues

Started by Fishy247, June 22, 2019, 03:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishy247

I'm having some issues with my old school TLD 30II. The most drag I can get before losing freespool is about 12#. I've gone through all the tutorials and double checked my reassembly. I've flipped bellevilles and nothing seems to change it. I'm trying to get 18#-20#. It's always been pretty fiddly with the drag, though. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

Bryan Young

Hi Mike,

You might need to sleeve the spool shaft (https://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1167.0) or shim the spool bearing.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fishy247

Thanks for that Bryan. I'm planning on opening it up today and I'll check that out.

Fishy247

Hey Bryan, for shimming the spool bearing, are you referring to the handle side bearing?

Fishy247

I've shimmed both spool bearings and the problem still remains. As far as sleeving the shaft, there are 2 E clips that the bearings rest against, serving as a sleeve, if I'm correct. Not sure where to go from here. The cam looks a little worn, but the shift lever looks like it still has decent ramping on it.

Bryan Young

Sometimes you have to shim the spool bearing so the there is very little side to side play of the spool because the clips are either too high or too low.  And yes the clips can replace the spool sleeve if they were set correctly.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Fishy247

I don't think there can be any less side to side play on the spool and still have any play.

akfish

If you can locate a new cam and lever, stick them in and see if that solves the problem. Both can wear down over time and will negatively affect the drag.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Hamachi

Did you do the "shim the drag plate" with masking tape ala Alan Tani? Tiburon also makes an aftermarket drag plate to take the slop out of that area. They also make a nice topless metal frame for the reel. And what the other guys said, shim the "c" clips on the spool shaft, and or check the lever cam. Another problem area is the friction o ring on the tension adjustment knob.

P.s. make sure you wipe all the grease off your carbon fiber drag washer after greasing it up, it should look dry. You did change it out, didn't you?
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Fishy247

I did wipe the drag washer off as best I could, but I think I'll yank it out and degrease it. That could be the problem. I've never replaced it and only recently started having this problem. I didn't do the masking tape fix, but I did shim the c rings.

Thanks!