new right side plate bearing

Started by hafnor, March 14, 2013, 11:48:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

Hey Robert, thank you for all your help! I am learning alot these days :) That was my next question... how much radial load can that bearing take... since the whole spool and shaft is resting on that bearing. I have not have any issues regarding the bearing inside the cam. only the pinion bearing has broken down several times...  Both bearings suffer the same load so I would be best off with two... this reel is getting expensive I guess.

I have called some bearing companies here in Norway that carries high end bearings but at 50$ for a regular stainless retainer shielded bearing is too much for me... You have a link, phone number or similar to contact them regarding that angular bearing?

My second question is what to do to accomodate the flex in the cage.... I know those angular bearings flex quite a bit and the bearing housing need to accomodate that flex. I may need to work in there with a dremel ???

Robert Janssen

how much radial load can that bearing take... since the whole spool and shaft is resting on that bearing.

Which? An axialkullager, little or no radial load. The AC bearing, i don't recall offhand. It is in their specs; read it yourself.

I have called some bearing companies here in Norway ... You have a link, phone number or similar to contact them regarding that angular bearing?

Link, no.. NSK is a big company; just google the info and bearing number. You'll find it.
Supplier in Norway, idunno... probably through the usual commercial distributors like Momentum or Rotera, who are in the business to make money. Not easy to be a privateer there; their prices are usually set according to a preferred customer deal. I can ask at work if we have anything going with them; we buy thousands of bearings yearly.

My second question is what to do to accomodate the flex in the cage.... I know those angular bearings flex quite a bit and the bearing housing need to accomodate that flex. I may need to work in there with a dremel ???

Flex? What flex? Cage, as in bearing cage, or as in reel cage / frame?
Generally, bearing fit + Dremel = not a good idea.

hafnor

the inner race (raceway w. balls) on that angular contact bearing will flex quite a bit and squeezed a certain length inside towards the right side plate bearing cup. If it flexes too much the bearing will slowly grind into the reelhouse and make it unsmooth. If it scratches while using drag I have to drill to accomodate that inner race bearing flex.

Keta

The load should be from inter race to outer race with a tiny amount of radial load on the cage.  The only non contamination related damage I've ever seen to large industrial AC bearings was caused by improper set up with too much or too little preload.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Robert Janssen

Sorry Hafnor; i just noticed that what i said above wasn't googleable at all. Here, near the middle somewhere and below:

http://nskmi756.rsjp.net/english/products/products01_09.html

And generally about NSK AC bearings:

http://www.nskeurope.com/cps/rde/xchg/eu_en/hs.xsl/angular-contact-ball-bearings.html

Still not sure what you mean about flexing a lot- Sure the bearing unit may seem a little loose or floppy in your hand, but when installed they are as solid as any other. Besides, there is another bearing immediately opposite this one in your reel. If you're REALLY worried about the inner race abrading the right side plate, there is nothing to stop you from installing a 0,1 mm shim behind the bearing.

I'm sure there are other suitable bearings out there as well; it just takes a lot of searching.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

imo, the DF type will work better for this application... ???

hafnor

Robert Janssen

Dual bearings, arranged Face-to-face.  (see the link from Madday)

I see it the other way though- as DB arrangement with the sideplate and cam inbetween.

So, that is sort of as far as it has come, Hafnor. You now have a few alternatives:

1) pursue the NSK bearings any way you can.

2) pursue the Origin bearings (hint- Boca deals with them) and enlarge the sideplate bore from 13 to 14 mm, not sure about the lever / cam side. Use a machine shop, not a Dremel.

3) get one of the thrust bearings and use that in combination with the cam bearing for centricity and radial load. Not so sure that is going to work, but those thrust bearings are so cheap you can buy a couple just to mess around with for fun. Maybe you can use one in the cam and leave the pinion bearing as it is.

And PS, has anyone asked this Shelby @ Isutami fellow?

And PPS, has anyone noticed similar syndrome with another American reel of very very similar type?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i may be wrong but the DF type's outer rings are pre-loaded making it more suitable for a pinion bearing  because the inner rings will have no contact against the right side plate. ???

hafnor

hafnor

I just opened up a newer JM pe4 reel and it measured 14x5x5mm... Hmm maybe my previous bearing measurement was wrong. I have to check in a weeks time when the new reel arrives (new being the previous model ie. not the newest handle) but maybe they went with a larger bearing. I found a matching 14x5x5 AC bearing in chrome steel from ebay. If the OD is only 13mm on the older reels, I may be able to grind one mm inside the right side plate...?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/705C-Angular-Contact-5mm-x-14mm-x-5mm-Miniature-Ball-Bearings-/360480812534

hafnor

Clem or anyone else, could you check the right side plate pinion bearing and cam bearing size on your pe3?

best, Thor