Okuma Catalina 45L and TGS 20

Started by jjc1969, January 22, 2009, 01:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjc1969

Hi Alan -

First off great site! I have seen many of your posts on many other websites and your info is second to none.

I've been looking at the Okuma Catalina 45L to use as a reel for shark/tarpon beach fishing and was wondering if you or anyone else can offer any input. I would only be using it once a year for about 2 weeks so it  would not see a ton of use. I handled one at my local Cabelas and it seem like a very well built reel but I'm having trouble finding any info on its guts and toughness. Casting is not a huge issue as we will be kayaking our baits out into the surf, however I still would like it to be able to cast decently.

At the same Cabelas they have 3 NEW TGS 20's in there clearance area for $165 a piece. I would be willing to spend that kind of cash if I knew I was getting something to last a lifetime. But again I'm finding it hard to find any good info other than the rebuild you did on the TG15 and most of the rest that I have found have been negative.

I guess in a nutshell I need a convetional reel, preferrably level wind, that has decent casting ability, can hold around 500 yds of 30-50# PP, is tough and is in the $100 - $150 price range. I am not very brand loyal just looking for a good value that will last.

PS - It would be paired with a Tsunami 7' Heavy action 3pc Travel Rod rated for #30-40 line and 1-6 oz bait.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks - Jeff

alantani

i think you'd be better off with a penn 320 gt2 or 330 gti.  got a full post on that one.  just go through it first.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

jjc1969

I have heard and read good things about the Penns you recommended but they are graphite bodies and the Okumas are a one piece aluminum frame. Are the guts of the Okumas that bad?