Penn 750 set up and rod questions.

Started by Keta, March 22, 2013, 04:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Sal sent me a 750 and now I have to figure out how to rig it.  I'm thinking 65lb Spectra, 5' 50lb mono topshot and a 5-1/2' or 6' 40-60lb rod.  I'm thinking about using it for halibut with iron in the 350-600 foot range, am I wrong here?
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

johndtuttle

Nothing wrong with that. Sounds like a good work out :D.

Cone

Sounds good to me. Don't forget to post pic's. I wish we had halibut here.  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Keta

Quote from: Cone on March 22, 2013, 04:34:41 PM
Sounds good to me. Don't forget to post pic's. I wish we had halibut here.  Bob

You have gaters, I'd love to go after them.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Cone

Come on Lee. Sal and Dominick won't. Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Dominick

Quote from: Cone on March 22, 2013, 09:26:11 PM
Come on Lee. Sal and Dominick won't. Bob
Hey wait a minute.  When is the best time?  I'll be in NY end of May.  Baja mid June and mid November, when is alligator season?  May I wrestle one in the off season?  Dominick 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Cone

Dominick, The season starts August 15 and is divided up into periods of 1 week. You can only go for the period your drawn. After the 4 weekly periods there is a couple of weeks you can go and try to fill your tags if you haven't already. I will put in for tags in May and pay for them if I'm selected.  It's exspensive for out of state. You only get two tags but if any of you want to go I would let you have the gator taken. You'd only have to get a trappers agents licence. They are 50.00 and would allow you to take a gator with my tag. I would have to be on the boat. The gator taken would be yours to keep, on me. Bob

surfcaster

750ss is a Great reel one of my absolute favorites for the surf , but there is no such thing as a spinning reel that is good for bottom fishing.
Trust me bring a conventional so you don't waste a trip .

Keta

I have several good conventional butt reels, Double SS doged SS Sleeved 7+1 113H Tanks, SS doged SS Sleeved 7+1 349H's, double SS doged SS Sleeved 5+1 114HNs, two speed Avet 4.0 and two speed Avet 30s but I want to see if I can jig up a large butt with this reel to see how well it works. It's the first spinner I've had in over 45 years.   I will have at least 2 conventional reels on the boat....probably a 349H and 114HN.

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Keep your target at around 100lb and that reel won't fail you, it has been serviced by me after all ;D.
All you need to do is to replace the ratchet and dogs with stainless steel.
I'm not crazy about that handle, the power handles are just too costly.
Let us know when you're going and take pictures.
Either way it goes, you would be helping us ;)
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Keta

Most of the butt we catch off of Oregon are much smaller than 100.

I found a partial spool of 65lb Spectra at the shop today but after I spooled it it looks like I'll need some backing.  I'll take it back off tomorrow when I get some help and re-do it.

The handle IS too small, even for my small hands.

Mark Twain