senator 4/0

Started by bigtoy83, March 27, 2013, 06:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigtoy83

you guys rock thanks for all your help

Bryan Young

Quote from: RowdyW on March 29, 2013, 12:48:49 AM
Hi Bigtoy, use 4-60 fiber washer under the main gear, 5 of 6-60 drag washers, 1 more 7-60 earred washer, & 1 more 86-60 keyed washer & you will have more drag power then when the reel was new. That all will fit with no alterations like it was factory installed. If in the future you want to hot rod the reel there are a lot of other options but you will have all the drag power that reel can handle. Don't forget to grease the drag washers with Cal's drag grease.      Rudy
Sorry to contradict Rudy, but I would use a 4-155 Carbon Fiber washer instead of the normal fiber washer.  This washer can also be sticky when it gets hot due to a fish run.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

RowdyW

Bryan its not a contradiction it is your opinion and my opinion is to use the 4-60 as I have for years without a problem. Just drop a couple of drops of oil down the sleeve periodically and you will not have that problem. I haven't run into a sticky fiber washer yet.    Rudy

Alto Mare

Rudy, if it's working out for you, that's great. I'm also going to recommend the carbon fiber washer there, to me it's a good upgrade. I've removed a few fiber washers in the past, some where dried up and on some there wasn't much left.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

RowdyW

Sal, thats probably reels that missed a lot of services. I've taken reels apart that were the same way because of lack of service or that were never serviced. I've seen a lot of reels that were original inside ( probably 30-40 years old) with the original drags & the fiber washers still useable even though I would replace them after that amount of time. I guess Penn is always wrong & should recall several million reels for an update. Whats in a new Penn Senator? I understand the point of view of a lot of you but you have to understand the point of view of the rest of the people that have thier own opinion.     Rudy   ;D ;D ;D

Keta

The CF washer under the gear adds to the drag.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: RowdyW on March 30, 2013, 12:02:08 AM
 I understand the point of view of a lot of you but you have to understand the point of view of the rest of the people that have thier own opinion.     Rudy   ;D ;D ;D
Absolutely, that's why I said if it's working out for you, that's great.
I'm going to keep recommending replacing the fiber on conventionals and the teflon on spinners with carbon fiber, simply because I believe they're much better.
I'm not getting confrontational with you Rudy, you and others have every rights to do as you please.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

slgriffiths

When I first saw the recommendation from AT to use a CF washer between the gear sleeve and the main gear, I was not sure about it - I had the standard brass mains and sleeves then, and was worried about abrasion on the softer materials. Had no evidence to support that concern, just a little niggle.
But now, with stainless gear sleeves and main gears so common, I think it seems a shame not to use the extra surface area to get a little more drag, or the same drag with a little less pressure on the drag star.
Critical?  No way.  
Do fibre washers work - sure, have done for years, as you say, Rudy.
But with SS components, I agree with Keta and Sal on this now.
Just my $.02

Simon.

bigtoy83

Just finished putting the reel together,  I followed Rudy's advice and it came out perfect. Plenty of drag and everything fit. Here's the pics.Thanks agian for all the advice.

ossipeter

That looks very great! :)

BMITCH

Nice job, nice reel. Good luck!
luck is the residue of design.

RowdyW

That reel looks brand new & now it will be tougher then new.  Tight Lines, Rudy

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

slgriffiths

That is really beautiful.
Well done.

Simon.

Cone

Nice reel and even nicer doing it yourself! Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD