New try.. Planning an AWESOME halibut reel

Started by Mandelstam, March 29, 2013, 08:47:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

Quote from: basto on April 12, 2013, 07:58:36 PM
That`s a bargain Karl! Looks to be in good condition too. You will have a lot of fun with it. I like that older model a lot.

Yea, isn't it beautiful? I love it. Too bad Tiburon didn't match their anodizing to the red of the side plates. I'm thinking of stripping the anodizing and polishing it to as close to chrome instead...
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

floating doc

It's summer,  even in Norway!  Are you fishing with this reel? :D
Central Florida

Dominick

Karl: we haven't heard any news about the modified 113 h or fish that it caught.  Report in.    Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

Wow Karl!
You got a good deal on that reel. I got all my parts to tank out my 113h. I only had one and it was a nice full frame that already had the 5+1 stack in it. I bought another one with posts for 50 bucks for the Tank.
Personally, if I were going after Halibut that big. I would sleep better with a 114h with Tib frame and 30 to 80 senator rod at 5'6". 6/0's are very abundant and cheap. Just my two cents.
Here is one of my 114's on a gold Tib Frame and roller rod. (2nd from left)

Here is a 114h on the senator rod that I speak of on the right.
Life is Good!

Norcal Pescador

Karl,
Even if the reel has no guts inside, $70 is still a great deal for the sideplates, Tib frame and spool.
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Mandelstam

Hey guys!

Reporting in.. Been on vacation and I sort of left my brain, computer and phone at work... ;)

The reel isn't done, still slowly collecting parts. I'm not going to Norway until September 2014 so I have time left.

My plans for the reel is this:

• Stainless gear and pinion (got a kit from Alan at Black Pearl)
  • Stainless double dogs
  • Stainless yoke
  • New drag stack
  • Narrow frame and spool (Tiburon or Jvariance, haven't decided yet)
  • New bigger handle. Will try to make a grip from my beautiful piece of Lignum Vitae I have lying around. Just needs a bit of shaping. The plan is to get a kolekar handle setup from Alan and then see if I can switch out the grip for my custom one

As the fishing is mostly done in quite shallow water I don't feel I need the line capacity I have now with the full width Tiburon frame. I'm thinking of keeping it as a backup If I need the extra yards and just switch frames and spool the night before... Or just get another old 113h:) (yea, sounds like a better plan, don't you think?)

I really want to finish this so I can show you guys... You're the reason this reel will come into existence. I've made a list of parts that I need to order, and as soon as I have funds available I will!

Cheers!

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea