5-500 Hex Adapter

Started by Keta, April 11, 2013, 10:34:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on April 11, 2013, 10:34:51 PM
I had some time so I drew up a hex adapter for Jigmaster drag stacks and they were cut today.

That cutter does do a great job, Lee ;)
Is that aluminum or stainless?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

BMITCH

Sal, so the thought is that the oct. shape will have a larger surface area = more drag. This may or may not be a problem as far as rounding off of the CF washer??
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

I'd recommend using thicker CF washers, the .020 stuff I've been using to get 7+1 in 349s will probably not take the force.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

So lee, what is the stack then? 5+1?  In theory 25# of drag?
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

I need to get some CF to see.  I'd be happy with 15lbs for any reel that uses the 5-500 gear.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Quote from: BMITCH on April 13, 2013, 01:18:58 PM
Sal, so the thought is that the oct. shape will have a larger surface area = more drag. This may or may not be a problem as far as rounding off of the CF washer??
Correct! I'm leaning toward  not being a problem.
I've tested the smaller octagon washers to 25lb and did good.
I've also discovered something else.
When comparing the 1+5 regular HT100's drags to the 1+4 hex dags, the numbers increased by double on the hex.
What surprised me was that the reel was working much smoother with the higher setting. Maybe increasing drags doesn't necessarily mean putting additional stress on the reel :-\
Or maybe its just me not getting enough sleep ::)

Lee is right about the fiber washers, they need to be thicker and laminated.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Alto Mare

Quote from: Keta on April 13, 2013, 02:03:41 PM
I need to get some CF to see.  I'd be happy with 15lbs for any reel that uses the 5-500 gear.
X2 ;)

doradoben

Very nice, Lee.
I think the amount of drag would be the same for the hex as the octagon even though one has a larger area, because the effective drag surface would be determined by the size of the keyed metal washers. (If the same size metal washer can be used in either one.) It seems like the octagon could be a better choice because the 2 extra points and less steep angles may help resist rounding off the points under high pressure. Will the factory metal washer fit inside the insert without modification or need to be ground smaller?

Alto Mare

Quote from: doradoben on April 13, 2013, 05:19:00 PM
Very nice, Lee.
I think the amount of drag would be the same for the hex as the octagon even though one has a larger area, because the effective drag surface would be determined by the size of the keyed metal washers. (If the same size metal washer can be used in either one.) It seems like the octagon could be a better choice because the 2 extra points and less steep angles may help resist rounding off the points under high pressure. Will the factory metal washer fit inside the insert without modification or need to be ground smaller?
You are correct Doradoben, equal drag. Taking that the keyed washer would fit. Still more surface equals more strength.
Lee and myself are also working on odd numbers of sides, we believe it's a better option than the sides being parallel.

Keta

The octogon adapter ID is .050" larger than the hex ID so a larger keyed washer can be used.  Octogon .837", hex .784" the 7 side is .810"

Mark Twain

Bryan Young

How about 12 pointed star?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

You are making me work!!!

Mark Twain

Alto Mare

Lee, I think Bryan has something there. The drawing is very easy to do, use two hex.

RowdyW

Sal, do you think we will have to have special diameter keyed washers or is the size of the octagon going to use existing size washers of a max size to fit in the gear? Just trying to think of all bases to be covered.    Rudy

I can cut washers to fit or stock ones can be ground down using a Bridge and gear sleeve.

Doug

Wow! Thanks Lee and Sal for your tinkering around. If this works you just improved the performance of a lot of reels . I hope the 5-60 insert works , if so all those old 1/0 senators ,surfmasters and squidders will find a new life and wider range of use. I have 10 reels that I would use them on if they become available  Doug