Penn 704Z: Service Tutorial

Started by johndtuttle, April 12, 2013, 05:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newell Nut

Thanks John, that was very thorough and informative. Great job.

Fishit 2

I would like to hear more about using 3 113 drag washers instead of the 60's. Has anyone found a fix for the sloppy back play in the handle?
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

johndtuttle

Quote from: Fishit 2 on May 28, 2015, 01:14:16 AM
I would like to hear more about using 3 113 drag washers instead of the 60's. Has anyone found a fix for the sloppy back play in the handle?

So, there is the Marcq post that you have seen that when the extra dog is placed can reduce the back play when they are "synced" to be alternating...then if you search for threads on stripersonine.com there is a variety of ways to install instant AR bearings. One guy did it on the handle side (removed bushing and drilled out receptacle. Another guy did it on the base of the pinion. Again, needed to pull that bushing and enlarge the frame for it.

best

Fishit 2

I remember that thread on SOL but unfortunately I can't search that forum - I was asked to leave and never post there again(banned for life) so I can't even use their search feature.
President of the Down Beach High Class Hookers fishing Club.

ez2cdave

Guys,

Here is this EXCELLENT Tutorial in PDF format for EASY DOWNLOAD . . . ENJOY ! ! !

frazerp

There was also on SOL (stripersonline.com) soem discussions of making an 'S' crosswind - giving one a better line lay and stroke.

Is anyone producing these for the 704s ???

And thanks Alan for another great real look at reels ...

nelz

Quote from: johndtuttle on April 12, 2013, 05:19:07 AMThe 704Z probably makes ~12lbs of drag hammered down (tests tomorrow) just like an un-modded Senator does. Go much higher than that and you probably run into trouble with the Housing plate (plastic) flexing when you try and crank against too much load just like a Senator frame flexes under higher drag causing binding and wear.

So this will never be the reel for duking it out with real big 'uns offshore or in the tropics.

Yes, and pushing it beyond can strip the gears too since the A/R dog works off of the main gear.

johndtuttle

Quote from: nelz on August 10, 2015, 04:02:42 PM
Quote from: johndtuttle on April 12, 2013, 05:19:07 AMThe 704Z probably makes ~12lbs of drag hammered down (tests tomorrow) just like an un-modded Senator does. Go much higher than that and you probably run into trouble with the Housing plate (plastic) flexing when you try and crank against too much load just like a Senator frame flexes under higher drag causing binding and wear.

So this will never be the reel for duking it out with real big 'uns offshore or in the tropics.

Yes, and pushing it beyond can strip the gears too since the A/R dog works off of the main gear.

Absolutely correct.

The incredible longevity of the 704Z and all of it's siblings in the "Z" lineage is due to a balance of the drag's modest ability with the strength of the gear train and rest of the reel. The drag is relatively weak and should be upgraded with care. The rest of the reel is bombproof for years because the stock drag can't easily hurt it.

Comparatively other modern spinning reels have amazing drags, but real damage to the gear train is definitely possible if the angler is not careful.

The good news is that these modern reels have instant ARB that protect the gear train, unless the unaware try to crank against the load. Then you can rapidly come to grief.

Alto Mare

Not disagreeing with anyone this is only my opinion on these reels. I know what they could do, I have many of them. The Z series could easily handle double the numbers that they were meant to.  Gear train in those is much stronger than the cast aluminum that you will usually see in newer reels of today.
The latest Spinner,Penn Clash looks very nice though, no cast aluminum gears and its priced right., Penn should do really good with those.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

handi2

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 10, 2015, 09:19:00 PM
Not disagreeing with anyone this is only my opinion on these reels. I know what they could do, I have many of them. The Z series could easily handle double the numbers that they were meant to.  Gear train in those is much stronger than the cast aluminum that you will usually see in newer reels of today.
The latest Spinner,Penn Clash looks very nice though, no cast aluminum gears and its priced right., Penn should do really good with those.
Sal

They are Sal and I have one on order at Scott's just to see one. I surely don't need it.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

broschro

love my 704z Cobia killer. I push way more thane 12#s of drag 8)

ez2cdave

HERE is the 704 / 706 Anti-Reverse Modification Thread from SOL . . .   PDF Format below - ENJOY ! ! !

ez2cdave

Quote from: Fishit 2 on May 29, 2015, 02:26:38 PM
I remember that thread on SOL but unfortunately I can't search that forum - I was asked to leave and never post there again(banned for life) so I can't even use their search feature.

There MAY be a way AROUND that . . .

How To Create a New "DYNAMIC IP ADDRESS" . . .

(1) Unplug your DSL Modem, both from it's Power Supply and the cable to your computer for TWO HOURS.
(2) Turn off your computer and unplug it for a couple of minutes.
(3) AFTER TWO HOURS, re-plug in your DSL Modem and connect it back to your computer.
(4) Turn on your computer and go online.
(5) Create a "Dummy" E-Mail account, just to supply Forum(s) with and receive Activation E-Mails, etc.
(6) Sign on to SOL or any other Forum . . . Create a NEW ACCOUNT . . . Supply them with the "Dummy" E-Mail address, and make up different Personal Info about yourself, including Location, etc.

PRESTO ! ! !

Newell Nut

Quote from: Alto Mare on August 10, 2015, 09:19:00 PM
Sal

This thread got me to thinking about the Conflict 8000 that I modified so I took my 706Z and tightened the drag down all the way. I could grab the spool in my palm and turn it. Pulled the spool off and found something similar to the conflict. I could see a big space under the spring retainer. In the Conflict I had plenty of drag but added a delrin on top in that space and go some extra smoothness.

Before adding a delrin in the 706 I turned the spool over and all the drag disc stacked nicely on my bench. What I saw first was and hex or oct (did not count) and then a white (maybe delrin) washer, keyed and CF and keyed and CF and keyed. They were all dry as well.

Got out the Cal's and started reassembly. I checked my longbeach 65 CFs and sure enough they were the exact same size so I put one in the place of the white washer so now I have 3 CFs instead of 2 and I put the white washer on the very top due to the big gap under the retaining spring.
Tightened the drag and WOW what an instant major increase.

Sorry no pics. Kind of late to be tinkering in the shop anyway.