Penn 704Z: Service Tutorial

Started by johndtuttle, April 12, 2013, 05:19:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

foakes

Not sure what you are describing as the knob decal —-

Is this what you need for the logo sideplate badge?

Best, Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Riy2018

Quote from: foakes on August 29, 2022, 01:18:29 AMNot sure what you are describing as the knob decal —-

Is this what you need for the logo sideplate badge?

Best, Fred

Good Day, Yes. this one is missing. how much is this decal?
Also I cant find out why some 704z have black and some have yellow sppol?

foakes

If you are in he US, figure $5 & free shipping in an envelope.

Do you mean the gold anodized spools vs, the black spools?

If that is the case, just different trim over the years.

Maybe a photo or two?

Best, Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Riy2018

Quote from: foakes on August 31, 2022, 12:09:46 AMIf you are in he US, figure $5 & free shipping in an envelope.

Do you mean the gold anodized spools vs, the black spools?

If that is the case, just different trim over the years.

Maybe a photo or two?

Best, Fred
please see photos. looklike working reel, too much grease inside

Twagon

I acquired two PENN 705s (left-handed, handle on right side of reel).  They were restored very nicely, but the line rollers did not spin freely, if at all, due to pitting of the bail arm beneath the roller.  I thought of trying to grind or sand the surface smooth but thought that would damage the plating.  So, I ordered two roller washers (part 132-750, I believe) from Mystic Reel Parts.  After this installation, the rollers spin perfectly!  The threaded shaft that holds the roller is now a little short, so I applied blue thread lock on the threads to prevent the nut falling off.  This disadvantage could possibly be corrected by grinding the surface of the bail arm down a bit.  I imagine others have dealt with the roller spinning issue with these reels already, but I thought I'd share the info in case it is of use. DSCN1110 (2).JPG 

foakes

Thanks for this TW —-

Did you also replace the roller sleeve under the line roller?

Part # 35A.

Or did your reels not have this part?

Really tough and capable reels.

Best, Fred

--------

Fred O.

Twagon

Reels arrived with roller sleeves in very good condition. The handles showed some wear, and the new metallic paint seemed to lack primer and scratches off too easily.  The line rollers just didn't roll.  Thanks for your reply.

Gfish

Cool!
Twagon, nice work indeed. I wish all the bail parts(except the sleeves) were made of stainless steel on these great old Spinfishers.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

handi2

Quote from: Twagon on December 28, 2022, 01:37:30 PMReels arrived with roller sleeves in very good condition. The handles showed some wear, and the new metallic paint seemed to lack primer and scratches off too easily.  The line rollers just didn't roll.  Thanks for your reply.

You can't beat those line rollers. The carbon line roller liner has been made
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL