Accurate bx 600nn security check

Started by hafnor, March 04, 2011, 01:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hafnor

Bought a accu bx600 nn when I was in florida in january and after using it for some testing I decided to crack it open and do some regreasing. A thing that surprised me was that the reel out of the box seemed to have very dry drags... after opening it, that was not the case but i did some anyways. Easy reel to maintain, just be careful when removing the retainer clips when going into the drag washers. They pop of like rockets, already lost one, but Alan saved me and sent me two. Thank you! Here it goes.

first remove the three small screews to the main frame, there is a torx wrench following in the box from accurate!

Take the main frame of the side plate.

the main frame and side frame seperated

remove "old" grease with a brush and with a tissue/cloth

had a daiwa precision reel grease laying around so I tried that after the inside was polished clean

add some grease and...

...Paint the inside thorougly

thats an healthy looking reel.

On to the spool assembly. Screw out the four screws and removing the sealing. Be careful with the screws, they will easily fall out of the big plastic holes.

behind the seal is the drag plate mounted with a retainer ring.

carefully remove the clip and your inside.

CARBON!

Okey here goes the carbon drags, be careful when removing them, the are thin and can easily be torn apart. This are layed into the ingravings in the spool so you wont have to hassle with any screews, glue or metal retainers.

out goes the disks

Clean out old grease and add new, I use cals on the disks and on the spool.

like a soft bed for the drag disk

wipe off old and add new

wipe off excess

careful here, there is a spring on both sides of the spool, for cranking the drag smoothly. behind it is a ball bearing

on to the next side, remove the plastic cam, use a razor or a small flat screwdriver.

remove the plastic cover for the main gear

[

carefully remove the retainer clip as on the other side

As the retainer clip is removed you can use a small screwrdriver to carefully press out the main shaft from the cam and out comes the spool from the main gear.

same prosedure as the last time

remove the drag plate.

take out the disk and clean carefully.

Add new on the disk and the spool

wipe off excess

put it back in

I used some light grease on the main shaft for to make it slide easily.

seal both bearings tight with grease.

on to the main gear, remove old grease with a brush and add new

I used some penn green grease. looks healthy and cool.

reassemble the spool shaft with ball bearings inside the ingraving in the spool and spring outside the bearing on both sides.

press the retainer back on.

grease both sides of the drag plates on both side of the reel, make it a even brush.

I choose to keep the seals on since I have not yet detected any intrusion through these.

as i was mounting the main gear to the spool with the main spool shaft going through the cam, it fell out, that is when I rememberd I forgot to grease the drag cam.

add some green magic

on with the retainer on main gear side

place the plastic cover over main gear.

add some grease to the main screew holes.

slap the reel house on to the spool and main gear

tighten the screws gently

press the cam cap back on with a finger.

and VOILA a healthy reel

best regards from Norway, Thor

Keith K

Nice write-up!  I dig the configuration of that size reel. 

Alto Mare

Nice job Hafnor, I'm impressed with your tutorial, but not wth the reel itself. I don't see a lot there for the mony, what do you think?
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Bryan Young

Very nice tutorial.  Thank you for sharing.  Those twin drags are awesome.  It looks like they could have gone with larger drag washer though, but maybe it's not needed.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Mr GreenJeans

Nice tutorial.  A couple of comments for you.  If you remove the E-clip on the end of the spool shaft (which you did about half way through your tutorial) the spool shaft will slide completely out of the spool.  This will allow you to remove the drag washers and grease them without removing the retaining clip on the palm side.  It also allows you to access the spool bearings, which I saw you greased.  If free spool is important to you, you should remove the bearing covers from the spool bearings, clean out the grease and oil with a light oil or tsi 301 lubricant.  The down side is you can't reinstall the bearing covers, but you will want to lubricate them frequently anyway.  Of course, if free spool isn't important in your fishing application, just grease the spool bearings well and forget about them.

hafnor

Thank you guys. It is sort of fun doing this... Value for the money. I personally really like the accurates. they are kept very simple but with high quality. And it has a great design. I am very happy with mine.

I am not a free spool guy, I do not cast anything with it, it is a straight up snd down jigging reel, so since the reel was so new I just sealed it on both sides on top over the shiels.

Thank you for the retainer clip tip! That would have made a stressfull job a whole lot easier.

cjmarti3

Hafnor,

Very nice post and timely for me as I have 6 BX Accus on order.  Nice to see some of the insides.

Comment:  I would check the status of the anti reverse bearing, flush a little Reel X in the bearing, grease the shaft ends to reduce water migration along the shaft.  Think of it this way; all your eggs are in this one little basket!!

Charlie

alantani

yeah, i actually start on the spool from the other side.  a good friend, justin, services his reels exactly like this, though. 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

hafnor

You are not going to be dissapointed Charlie, these reels are solid! Thank you for the tips on the anti reverse bearing, I will do this. How does the anti reverse work on these reels, is it just a bearing and a security ring that blocks? why dont they install some dogs on these, then they should be good for some serious tuna too. Seems like a easy modification to the guys that make advanced airplane components. one last question... Is it possible to make double dogs without that terrible sound and whats the max drag on these new reels?, the old 270 accurate had 52 pounds according to tackletour.

Starting from the other side makes perfect sense now, but I am kind of stressed out when tearing a reel down, afraid of not remembering the way things go back in... These reels are easy to service but I am still a bit nervous... Must do some more reels.

alantani

just spoke to mark alexander.  he came back from a long range trip to the clarion banks and says he saw two accurate boss extremes go knuckle buster when the single anti-reverse roller bearing failed.  that puts the design of the entire line of reels in question.  this is very, very, bad news....   :-\

hafnor

I have heard that people are choosing the JM reels over the accurates because of the anti reverse, whats the deal here? how are these reels being ripped apart? what happens?

I am using the reels for serious cod and halibut so I am not that concerned... I belive these reels can master a 400 pound halibut if put to the test. It seems that for the long pulling tropical species like tuna, the reels anti reverse system is not good enough!

alantani

mark said that some of these guys tried to exceed 30 pounds of drag.........