Shimming - Give me the low down - SHIM 101

Started by Marlinmate, January 12, 2019, 01:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marlinmate

Ok.  I've cleaned and reassembled many reels over the past ten years. Very few have had shims in them anywhere.  A couple here, a couple there but not many.

Why would someone add shims? Obviously to take up space and to move something one way or the other. 

Where do shims go? How do you know when you need shims?  How do you know what thickness shim to add? Who has such shims available to purchase?

Would love to know everyone's process for determining when it is time to shim and when it isn't...and where to put certain shims to accomplish certain things.

FISHING IS THE SPORT OF DROWNING WORMS

oc1

Quote from: Marlinmate on January 12, 2019, 01:18:38 AM
Why would someone add shims? Obviously to take up space and to move something one way or the other. 

Where do shims go? How do you know when you need shims?  How do you know what thickness shim to add? Who has such shims available to purchase?

You said it all.  Sometimes you need to take up space or move something one way or the other to make the reel run properly.  You can buy an assortment of thin brass shim stock on line and cut your own with shears as needed.  Thin sheets of carbon drag washer material and delrin can come in handy too.
-steve

Tiddlerbasher

I get most of my shims (pre-made) from model shops involved with rc cars. e.g.

https://www.insidelinemodels.com/inside-line-shop/screws-nuts-spacers-etc/shims-rc

I find most budget to mid-range spinners require shims to ensure correct gear mesh.
Some conventionals will need shims to centre the spool properly - this can be a matter of taste rather than necessity :-\

Donnyboat

Thanks for that info Chris, do you have to quote the thick ness of the shims, & so on, cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat

Tiddlerbasher

I just see what the shop has, measure the 'slop' I need to fill and buy the appropriate thickness and size. E.g. if I need to take up 1.25mm of slack (easy to measure on a spinner) I would try and buy a 1mm & 0.25mm shim. Alternatively buy a pack of 0.25mm shims and save the ones I didn't use for another job. It doesn't take long to build a collection ;)

Donnyboat

Thanks for the quick reply Chris, keep well cheers Don.
Don, or donnyboat