fishing sri lanka

Started by chandimaabu, April 25, 2013, 09:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chandimaabu

[/img][/img]THANK YOU EVERYONE :)pavlov, Nice to hear you will be visiting Sri Lanka. the place i was calld kaluthara river mouth kaluthara River (or kaluthara Ganga in the local language - Sinhalese) at its estuary offers excellent fishing. Casting plugs 'shallow swimming floaters' around 7 - 8 inches and about 1 to 2 ozs, since it is a shallow lagoon/river mouth, will at the right time of year yield some excellent catches of Barramundi and Giant Trevally. Fishing with prawns (bought at the fish market nearby) too will get you smaller fish like Salt water catfish, Mangrove Jack and smaller Trevally. When casting lures catches of Trevally can range from 4 pounders to monster 30 to 70 pounders and hooking one of them from shore is an experience one will certainly never forget. I have had an Abu 7000 stripped in one 'non stop' run casting a 7 inch 'Cotton Cordell Red Fin' from shore.

However, on a negative note, this time of year, June, July and August, is slap bang in the middle of our South West Monsoon .
If the fishing in the estuary and sea is poor due to the ongoing Monsoon then the only alternative would be to fish a bit up stream in the kaluthara River itself (1/2 to 1 mile) using smaller lures (3 to 4 inch) and/or prawns. If you are staying in a hotel or guest house just ask them to arragne a boat for you. An 18 foot fiberglass boat with outboard motor and a boatman who is also a 'fisherman' is easliy arranged - but get the hotel to arrange it as they know the fishermen in the area and will get you a responsible/reliable one.

There is also another alternative. Between Colombo and kaluthara (30 min drive from kaluthara) there is a large lake that is connected to the Sea called "Bolgoda Lake" and I have trolled in it during the monsoon period and caught many good sized Barramundi and Jacks.
If you are interested just pm me and I will let you have a tel no. and web site of a party that arranges fishing (with well made custom fishing boats) trips in the lake which is highly recommended.                                                and  TARFU the lure is in red and white yo-zuri tx minnow 130 gm.not tx jr and thank every one. :) ;)

chandimaabu

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

pavlov

Sent Pm.  I don't know where else you can catch trevally that big from shore.  That would be a blast!