My rod leash

Started by Mandelstam, May 01, 2013, 02:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cone

Tarfu, I'll try to answer your questions but don't take the answers as gospel.  ;)
1) It depends on what your using it for. It doesn't have to be too strong for a rollover in a kayak. If your fishing for big sharks that's another story. We used to tie them to a 5 gallon bucket buried in the sand. Bigger mono though tangles less.
2) 550 Para cord is supposed to be rated for 550lbs. It has 7 strands inside rated at 50lbs each. Gutted it should be around 200lbs.
3)IDK Its pretty strong. strong enough to recover your rods in a roll over.
4)I've never tested it but I've never had one break. I usually use .95 weed eater line or 400lb mono for mine.
5) IDK Lots of people use weed eater line instead of mono for chafing leaders when shark fishing here. You can boil and cool the line that looks like mono. I've never tried the line with the steel core.
Good luck, Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

day0ne

I just use my dogs leash. Clip on one end, a loop on the other.
David

"Lately it occurs to me: What a long, strange trip it's been." - R. Hunter

Bill B

Mandelstrom sorry for the post hijack...I really like your skills with the rope and knots...... Bob thanks for the insight my have to  start my UL Laboratory and test a few....
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

broadway

Agree with Tarfu...
Karl, Awesome knot work, durable (mono is gonna degrade with UV. and it looks sweet!
Bob, Great tip and it would make a great poor man's leash, but hasn't heating weakened the mono?
Thanks for the tips and tricks!
Dom

Cone

Dom, heating may weaken it some. They sell similar mono coil lanyards in dive shops here. I can make them for less than half what they sell them for. I bet they do something similar to make their coils.  ;D
UV will degrade nylon too.  If you have a doubt make a new one. The coils help keep them out of the way.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Ron Jones

Most materials will weaken with heat. Most plastics can be molded at a lower heat than that required to degrade them. A few minutes of boiling water shouldn't hurt mono. think about how many times you've scalded Tupperware clean at the dock / camp. If you are worried, use bigger mono. All of the leashes sound and look great.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

ChileRelleno

A lot of land based sharkers utilize leashes for their gear.
Those larger pricey conventionals attached to high dollar Stand-Up rods, are too costly to let some big Bull take for tow.

You see all sorts of creative designs, I've a couple that are made from a small carabiner on crimped 100# mono attached to 2' stake of aluminum angle stock.
Stake it, clip carabiner to reel and relax.  My problem is is that I don't normally tote them along to save weight when pulling a beach cart through sand.  :-[
Ragnar Benson:
"Never, under any circumstances, ever become a refugee.
Die if you must, but die on your home turf with your face to the wind, not in some stinking hellhole 2,000 kilometers away, among people you neither know nor care about."