Info request - Live tuna to Sashimi

Started by Nuvole, May 10, 2013, 04:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan Young

Ron, you are living on the wrong island if you don't eat sashimi or poke.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Ron Jones

I will eat ceviche if it is at least over night in the fridge. Many have told me that some Poke is basically the same thing. Maybe some day.

This is the perfect island for me. Only place I know of that the potatoes are purple and you can find mango and coconut on the side of the road.

Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Nice!  All we have here is road apples.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

RowdyW

Bryan Young

Personally, I like my fish to be rigger before eating it.  Much too soft.  And tuna from the ocean to the cutting board is too warm for my liking.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Keta

The ones I cut come out of the slush tank.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Lee,

I've ALMOST got this island laid out as a year round grocery store. I haven't hunted yet but their is pig and goat everywhere. I have seen plenty in more than huntable numbers. I have almost found enough wild fruit bearing trees to feed my family year round and their is always something to catch. The garden is going in now with lots of purple potatoes and onions, as well as the usual salad stuff and probably some peppers.

Their is no reason not to eat good in Hawaii.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Nuvole

Quote from: Bryan Young on May 14, 2013, 02:36:35 PM
Personally, I like my fish to be rigger before eating it.  Much too soft.  And tuna from the ocean to the cutting board is too warm for my liking.

Ahhh... so the right way to do it is to freeze the fish after gutting, before fillet it for sashimi.

Bryan Young

Chilled.  We normally chill it for a day before cutting it up.  Less waist and mush.

Joel.B

Former Chef here with some Sashimi experience from several places on the globe: I prefer fish that have been speared stone-dead or brought to boat quickly with over-kill sized tackle.  They less they fight the better the flesh, same with hooved animals. 

I try to give my sashimi fish a clean and private ice-bath, I dont want them crowded or smooshed in the hold with poopy/bloody ice, dont want any weight pressing on them nor do I want them contorted at all.

I  will remove loins on the shore, wrap with paper and let them rest in the freezer a wee-bit before slicing.  I also make sure my nails are short and clean, hands very clean, and I chill my hands/blade in bowl of icewater as i work. The heat from my hands melts the fat from the flesh.

All of the above sounds like a load-of-hoo, but you can absolutely see, feel and taste the difference.

As with any preparation, sharp knife is mandatory- mine is single edged finished on 3000grit whetstone and a glass rod. 

alantani

joel, i would never doubt the word of a man holding a sharp knife......   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Nuvole

Quote from: Joel.B on May 15, 2013, 03:12:43 PM
Former Chef here with some Sashimi experience from several places on the globe: I prefer fish that have been speared stone-dead or brought to boat quickly with over-kill sized tackle.  They less they fight the better the flesh, same with hooved animals. 

I try to give my sashimi fish a clean and private ice-bath, I dont want them crowded or smooshed in the hold with poopy/bloody ice, dont want any weight pressing on them nor do I want them contorted at all.

I  will remove loins on the shore, wrap with paper and let them rest in the freezer a wee-bit before slicing.  I also make sure my nails are short and clean, hands very clean, and I chill my hands/blade in bowl of icewater as i work. The heat from my hands melts the fat from the flesh.

All of the above sounds like a load-of-hoo, but you can absolutely see, feel and taste the difference.

As with any preparation, sharp knife is mandatory- mine is single edged finished on 3000grit whetstone and a glass rod. 

Wow... this is some very serious pro info you are sharing ^^
I've no doubt that my cook onboard will stay away from me if I did the same.

---------------

If its not an industries secret, nnyone have some step by step picture for deboning and cutting tuna into sashimi?
Most of my catch are around 3-4 feet.

Joel.B

here is a good vid- not too fast so you can see how vs how-fast

This is about exactly how I break mine down too.....but there are about a million vids on the subject- watch as many as you can and use what works for you

Dominick

The purchaser went right for the belly fat. 
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Bryan Young

Someone can buy my belly fat.  I'm not sure how it would taste.  hahahaha.