Not a Reel Related ?

Started by SoCalAngler, May 12, 2013, 04:48:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoCalAngler

I did not where to post this question and if it needs to be moved please move to the correct board.

Have you ever had a picture of yourself show up on a web site that you did not put there? I got a text from my nephew telling me to check out a page on a web site. I go there and sure enough there I am. In this case I know who the poster is and don't really have a problem with him trying to get more fisherman down to Baja, I know their hurting very much from lack of people heading down and fishing. This picture is not one I took or placed on the web anywhere. I'm just wondering if anybody can use it now if they wanted for other advertising or something? Not to say anybody would but in the picture I have on a AFTCO hat, Penn shirt and the rod and Avet reel I caught the fish on are in the picture. Just wondering now if this picture is up for grabs for any ones use? I know the pictures I post could be used but what about ones of yourself you did not post?

I'm the 4th picture down if you want to take a look.

http://www.bajafisherman.com/forum/showthread.php?1718-Loreto-Baja-Mexico-Sport-fishing-Dorado-Tournaments

Keta

Nice fish, once you post a photo online you loose control of it unless it has a copyright stamp on it.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

You could send an email to the site admin asking for it to be removed as you have not provided permission.  That's the best you can do.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

redsetta

Lee's spot on - anything uploaded to the web becomes part of what's often called the 'internet commons'.
While you still 'own' the image, uploading basically licenses anyone else to display and/or use it.
Websites generally have content licensing written into their terms - certainly all photo sharing and social networking sites.
While 'commons' usage is supposed to be non-commercial, it's notoriously difficult to enforce - particularly across international borders.
Putting a copyright stamp on the image gives it no more protection, other than making it apparent it's been 'borrowed'.
If you want the image taken down, you'll have to rely on their goodwill in respecting your request...
Hope that helps.
Good luck, Justin
PS Great shot!
Fortitudine vincimus - By endurance we conquer

Alto Mare

That's a nice shot Mark, you should be proud.....nice fish!
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

SoCalAngler

Thanks for the feed back. As far others using the picture I don't think that would happen but imagine someone contacting you saying "hey did you know your on this site?". Came as a surprise to me. I do know the poster and as you can tell fished with him but had no idea he did this. I know his intent is from the hart as he does live in Loreto and he is trying to get more people fishing there and promoting a tournament I have fished in from the first year it has started. All monies raised from the Tripui tourney go to local Loreto charities and most of the fish caught goes to needy familys and orphanages which is all good as far I see.

Mandelstam

You said that it wasn't you who took the picture right? Then you're not the owner of the picture and don't really have any real control of how it's used. Usually though, at least here in Sweden, you'll need a signed agreement or contract with the person modelling in the picture if you want to use it in advertising or anything that isn't pure non-profit (even in that case I think you'll need written permission strictly legally speaking). Newspapers, journalists, etc, don't need that permission and can print pictures of anybody they want to basically. Paparazzi would soon be out of jobs otherwise...

So, basically, the person that shot the picture holds the copyright to the picture. For they to publish it they sometimes need a written agreement from the persons who are in the picture. That is my understanding basically of how the copyright laws work, at least here in Sweden.

If you upload pictures to Facebook, Twitter, etc, they in their turn can claim they have the right to use uploaded pictures in different ways. All perfectly legal, you accepted the agreement by joining and accepting their terms. That's why you always should read the terms for that site before you upload anything you still want "control" over.

You don't lose your rights to the picture per default by uploading it to the internet. You'll probably quickly lose control over it though. Google has a neat picture search function since a while back where you can "drag and drop" a picture from your computer in the search field and Google searches the web for that picture and pictures that looks a lot like it. Pretty neat.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Mandelstam

By the way, nice picture and NICE fish!
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!