AFW Mighty Mini Swivels

Started by Rivverrat, June 30, 2016, 04:39:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rivverrat

I need feed back on these.
Are they dependable ?
I'm fishing heavy cover & have had issue in the past with swivels failing here on fish.

Click on the pic to turn it right side up....Jeff

Shark Hunter

I only use Rosco's, but I'm using big ones. 6/0's
Life is Good!

Rivverrat

Daron, are you using brass or stainless ?  I'm taking it's brass ? ....Jeff

STRIPER LOU

SPRO SS swivels are all that I use. I have never had one of any size fail. AFW is known for making wire line which is good quality.
The SPRO swivels have their strength rating on every package. As Mr. D said Roscoe is a good one too. I have used them in the past in the larger sizes for my tube n worm rigs.
....................Lou

Rivverrat

I just noticed these were all I had left. I'm going to go ahead & use them but order up some 4/0 & 6/0 Rosco's....Jeff

Rivverrat

Oh....I guess I'll test 10 of these AFW's they are rated @ 310 lbs. They are stainless, very affordable but made in China it....SOOoooo

Here's a pic of one next to a 4/0 brass McMahon with 350 lb. rating....Jeff

Bryan Young

I've used AFW swivels and snap swivels, and have yet had a failure.  But I am no where near the breaking strength rating of the swivel or snap.  Mine are normally 3 times the rating of my line which is probably 9 times the rating of my drag.  I'm sure my knot will fail before the swivel.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

Yes,
They are brass Jeff. Made in the USA and rated for 500lb. Very affordable. I use brass because they are less expensive and after a couple trips out to sea, The whole rig is toast. The salt eats them up no matter how good you take care of them.

Life is Good!

Rivverrat

Brian, I do the same. All terminal all gear is at least 3 times the strength of my line. Like you said with drag setting being even less I find this to be a good margin of leeway....Jeff