new handle grips for 2013

Started by alantani, May 23, 2013, 04:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i don't use loctite, i just tighten it as tight as possible. but if you prefer to use some type of glue, i highly recommend tamiya (for RC use). used it when i was into radio controlled. tested and proven on off-road buggies (rc of course). tight lines!

broschro

I use the blue Loctite, as I have had some problems with some aftermarket knobs coming un buttoned in the heat of battle , not a good feeling  :'(  The blue Loctite is easy to brake free for service.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i've also used the blue loctite but probably it's just a matter of preference i prefer the tamiya.

Shark Hunter

Ah Yes,
The Tamiya Slime! Know it well! ;D
Life is Good!

handi2

I have 2 years of use on 4 of these handles and they just keep working lke new..!!
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

floating doc

Quote from: handi2 on November 17, 2013, 12:32:26 AM
I have 2 years of use on 4 of these handles and they just keep working lke new..!!
Great!  What reels?
Central Florida

Tightlines667

Alan...
What options (if any) do you have or could you recommend to replace handles, or preferably just the knobs(using existing stock arms) on larger penn senators (9,12,&14/0)?  I'm looking for a cost effective (<$40 typical total replacement cost) means of replacing excessively worn handles on larger senators. Also, do you have any recommendations as to how to acquire replacement clicker rings (no part#) new, new-old stock, or used) clicker rings for 12+14/0 senators?  Similar to part 62-114H2 on the 115L2 (Senator 2 9/0). 

If you have SS-offset-T-bars, or offset rubber, or even non-offset lightweight plastic polymer, or anything that I can bolt on to existing 12/0 +14/0 handle arms for a resonable price (say under $25 ea.). I'd like to order at least 4 of each.  I might be interested in a couple complete handle sets (if they're under ($40 ea.?) as well.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

alantani

if you just want to replace the handle grip, go with the 5/0 grip and drill out the old grip,  i have a handle arm for the 6/0 senator.  not sure if that arm will fit on the larger gear sleeves.  i don't work with these larger reels that often. 

anyone else know if the 6/0 arm will fit on these larger reels?   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

As I recally, the handle arm openings on the larger reels are the same size as the 6/0.  I think Penn standardized this.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Tightlines667

Thanks for the info guys! 
Alan, Your handles look like high quality stuff but I think I'm gonna start by experimenting w/a few cheaper ($15-$25) replacement handle knobs designed for the 115 for now.  I should have enough stock handle arms to get me started (I'll start w/2-14/0s, &4-12/0s).  Will definately keep your products in mind though!
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Bryan Young on November 18, 2013, 07:57:17 AM
As I recally, the handle arm openings on the larger reels are the same size as the 6/0.  I think Penn standardized this.
The 6/0 will fit the 9/0, but not anything bigger. The sleeves are larger on the 116 and up.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

The sleeves are larger...are the handle opening larger as well?  I though they were down sized and have the same opening as the 6/0 and 9/0.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Shark Hunter

As you can see in the picture Bryan, here are my most recent handles from Lee. The 12/0 handles are on the left. 114H on the right. The 116's are bigger hole.
Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Ok...I cannot tell... :o  I need a reel in hand to measure.  If Alan wants to produce a stock handle configuration for those reels, I'll gladly draw it up.

Tightlines667

I think the handle knob openings are the same size.  I just ordered 4 aftermarket ones at $15 ea., so I'll let you know for sure in a few days.
Hope springs eternal