Pitting on a chromed brass frame, what to do?

Started by Mandelstam, May 30, 2013, 11:25:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

I'm in the cleaning stage of an 1968 ABU Ambassadeur 6000. The reel was in very good shape, clean as a whistle inside and with mint condition side plates. But the chromed brass frame was very pitted with corrosion around the seat area and around the level wind. I managed to clean the corrosion off with a toothbrush and vinegar. But that left me with some exposed brass instead.

Is there something you should or could do to further protect it? I can live with the brass spots but I don't want the chrome to start peeling off even more. Just a micron of marine grease and a good rinse/drying/regreasing after each trip?

/Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Norcal Pescador

If the chrome is still well attached to the brass (not peeling or flaking) I'll give the metal a good treatment of chrome polish or Brasso. Since my reels are working reels and not showpieces, at times I've taken a small wire brush or steel wool to the pitted areas first. ::)
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

Mandelstam

Thanks!

I don't want this to be a showpiece either. I was just a bit worried that since there is open holes through the chrome it will maybe start to flake easily. It's not flaking at all at the moment.
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Norcal Pescador

None of mine that had pitting have flaked. My personal opinion and experience is that once the bumps from the corrosion are gone along with any green stuff, the metal won't deteriorate any more and even with steel wool marks it looks better than having green chrome zits. :P 
Rob

Mandelstam

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: Mandelstam on May 31, 2013, 09:56:13 AM
That feels good to know! Thanks!

/Karl

Another reason I'm aggressive with the wire brush and steel wool is if the chrome starts flaking or peeling in the cleaning phase, it's going to be ugly. :-\ :(

Glad I could help(?), Karl.
Rob

Mandelstam

I'll post picture of the beauty when she is finished in all her old wrinkled and spotted beauty.