insufficient drag on newFin-Nor Ahab spinning reel

Started by dutch seabass, May 29, 2013, 05:41:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dutch seabass

Hi guys,

I have a new Fin-Nor Ahab 12 spinner (China made) which I bought a few years ago but never got around to use. Now I checked the drag on it and it's not impressive (don't know about drag in pounds but suffice to say that a decent Dutch seabass would spool me without breaking into fish sweat). I cleaned the drag area as it had been lightly oiled in the factory (??), also replaced the cork washer but it was no real improvement.

Does anyone know if this is a known issue with these reels?

Regards,
Patrick

Bryan Young

If you can post pics of the drag stack, that may help.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

johndtuttle

Pictures please or a description of the stack with dimensions.

These older cork drags didn't put out much at the top of a full spool. Towards the bottom they aren't bad (~15lbs).

alantani

these reels should put out plenty of drag.  any chance that you have spectra slipping on the spool?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

dutch seabass

Ehmmm... there isn't even any line on it.. the lack of stopping power is already evident, and I really don't get it.  :-[

johndtuttle

Quote from: dutch seabass on June 04, 2013, 09:17:44 AM
Ehmmm... there isn't even any line on it.. the lack of stopping power is already evident, and I really don't get it.  :-[

You will be surprised how much force you hand makes as it operates on both sides of the spool at the same time. This discussion is moot unless you are giving us a number in pounds or kg. with line on the spool and/or you are providing the other information requested in this thread.