More free spool in bait

Started by jlezama, May 29, 2013, 08:59:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlezama

Hi All
          After servicing my avet MXJ MC I noticed something I did not see before: At 7 lbs strike, the "free spool" in "bait" is better than "free" position (probably by 10 seconds or more)! I did notice that spinning the spool in free and switching to bait while its going did not stop it or slowed down for that particular drag setting. It did after increasing the drag (but not by much since I was already close to max drag operational range). Checked the cam position etc, at least checked everything to my limited (and now slightly expanded because of the forum) knowledge, including several re-assemblies.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance
Juan

Fish-aholic

Basically what's happening is, when the drag lever is moved to 'bait', the spool, for right handed reels, will slightly shift over to the right. This means the spool will be mm's further away from the MC unit than when the lever is set in the 'free' position. Being further away means the MC will be less effective than being in closer proximity. ;)

Bryan Young

Those magnetic cast controls always get me thinking that something is wrong when its normal ALWAYS!!!

Thanks for bring this up.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D