Homemade Tools & Line Winders

Started by harryk3616, June 02, 2013, 12:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Very creative, spize. Thanks for sharing.
Sal
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

spize909

Thanks, I learned from my Grandpa.
I got all kinds of junk........ah stuff in the garage that I can pick from when I need to make something. The wife don't really get it but every now and then I can point at something and say "see, that's why I keep that crap".

Dominick

There is no end to the talent on this site.  Thanks for showing us.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

doradoben

Simple & heavy duty. I like it.

edgarz

Very practical. Thanks for sharing.

CapeFish

I have also made one, very easy and robust, but I just can't get the photobucket thing right,

Bill B

You have a talent there spize...thanks for sharing....btw how hot did you have to get the oven (i'm assuming it's electric) to cure the powder coat?
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!

Norcal Pescador

Mine is pretty primitive, too, but I had to actually go buy stuff to make it. :-\

Mine is made from PVC and galvanized pipe, and a bit of hardware.

The parts laid out. 1/2" x 18" galvanized pipe, 2 slip x slip 3/4"PVC elbows, 2 1/2" threaded x 3/4" slip PVC elbows, section of 3/4" PVC pipe (thick-walled!),  4 hose clamps.

Screw the threaded x slip fittings on tight. Cut short sections of PVC pipe for the risers and insert to make sure the threaded elbows are lined up. Remove the risers and make sure the slip elbows are lined up when you start gluing. Glue the top part together, then glue into the bottom part.

Found a piece of scrap aluminum, a 3/8" x 6" bolt, and some nuts to make the spool holder. I use 2 hose clamps to secure it.

Use it to spool up a reel........

... or to transfer line from one reel to another for whatever reason.

For drag, I use either a couple of nylon or CF washers between two fender washers on both sides of the spool and double nuts to keep the drag from changing. The spring didn't work too well on heavier line, but it's okay up to about 10-pound test.

If you want, put a reel on and spool some line on under a good drag load and see how much the stand flexes. Now do the same with the rod clamp on.  :o  Very enlightening.

Cheers!

Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

BMITCH

These are all excellent!! Thanks for posting pics. Someone should start a thread where everyone could post there own version of line winder. Not that I need to build one now or anything. ::) ::) just looking for ideas. These are great.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: BMITCH on July 24, 2013, 11:47:16 PM
.... Someone should start a thread where everyone could post there own version of line winder. Not that I need to build one now or anything. ::) ::) .....
Bob

Go for it, Bob! ;D ;D 

I figured one that clamps in a vise would work best for me as my workbench isn't real big and there's the eternal list of honey-dos. :-\
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

spize909

Good stuff.
You can see that the original use was just held to the bench with a spring clamp. After PCing it and making it all pretty I screwed it down in an out of the way spot with some brass screws.......might just pc those too.
As for temp it was 400 degrees for about 10 minutes per the powder directions. From what I understand different powder "cooks/cures"? at different temps and times.
I'm kinda on the lookout for some kind of small motor.......I'd love to automate this thing. Not that I need to change my line all that much with the paltry amount of fishing I seem to do anymore, I'd just like to do it for fun.
Any ideas on a small salvage motor that would spin fast enough?

spize909

Quote from: Norcal Pescador on July 24, 2013, 11:54:19 PM
Quote from: BMITCH on July 24, 2013, 11:47:16 PM
.... Someone should start a thread where everyone could post there own version of line winder. Not that I need to build one now or anything. ::) ::) .....
Bob

Go for it, Bob! ;D ;D 

I figured one that clamps in a vise would work best for me as my workbench isn't real big and there's the eternal list of honey-dos. :-\

I like the idea of some drag washers for tension.......

BMITCH

Ok. Looking to get some feedback/info on line winders. I've seen some really nice homemade units here and I'm in the mode of trying to plan one out. Any pics,plans or comments would be welcome. I would really like to build one possibly with a drill mounted to power wind. So come on folks....show your winders :o :o
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

harryk3616

hi    bob      on page #2 in the photo gallery, i showed pictures of a line winder i made with a mounted drill.  best regards   harryk